Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of bat bite. Struggling. Help!!  (Read 255 times)

Offline astroturf

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of bat bite. Struggling. Help!!
« on: January 05, 2014, 05:53:49 PM »
Last weekend I stayed in a hotel. A few days after returning home, I had three small bumps and itchiness under my waistband. I thought maybe it was bedbugs. Scratching caused the bumps to open and look like punctures. Admittedly, punctures that look exactly how I'd imagine a bat bite to appear.

When I showed someone, they suggested it was a bat bite. On my stomach.

I freaked and went to the ER. They said they'd give me the rabies vaccine if I wanted it. I declined and chose instead to have my house searched for evidence of bats.

But now I have horrible anxiety about whether or not I made the right decision.

A home inspector found no evidence of bats in my attic. Plus, with below zero temps, the beams in my attic are frosted over. Would bats hibernate in that?

If a bat made this bite, it would have had to come out of the attic, crawl under my covers and into my pajamas, bite me, then escape without me ever knowing or seeing it in the morning. I am a heavy sleeper, but....

Oh, also, I have a two year old bird dog who sleeps by my bed. I figure a bat flying overhead would make him bark like crazy and wake me up. He goes nuts over the baby birds in our backyard after all.

So anyway, my rational mind tells me there is no way a bat bit me. But I can't let it go. Spiraling down.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of bat bite. Struggling. Help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »
If they hospital even remotely thought you'd been bit they would have given you the shot; sounds like they offered of to alleviate your anxiety which was likely apparent.

You had your home inspected for bats and they found none.  If they had been there they would still be there.  Animals don't move outside in cold weather, plus there would have been bat poop in your attic that the inspector would have seen, which he didn't.

You first said that they were 3 small bumps then scratched them and they opened up.  If a 3 toothed bat bit you it would have broken the skin - which did not happen because they were bumps that YOU opened up then all of a sudden they became "punctures".

You said that you showed them to "someone" - guessing they're expertise at determining animal bits is zero.

You weren't bit by a bat.  Since you said it was at your waist line, it seems more likely that something you wore caused some skin irritation which caused your anxiety to go into overdrive.
Bookmark and Share

Offline john55

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
Does not sound like a bat bite. You would have heard your dog barking at it. Also the chances of the bat having rabies are pretty low unless you live in an area with high rabies. I would only get the shots if you can find any evidence there was a bat. Even then most people would not get the shots. The chances are just so low. Also those shots are not fun. I really believe you dog would have noticed though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline astroturf

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »
I've now had two inspectors search my attic for bats. Neither found any evidence. But I still can't let this go. I'm afraid the only thing that will calm me is to get the shots :( But then, of course, I'll worry about what the shots might do to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline john55

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »
if you are that worried just get them. its not a big deal just a pain. my wife got them one time because she woke up with one in the bedroom and our cats were going nuts chasing it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: