Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I feel lost  (Read 144 times)

Offline marpizza

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Binding Infinity in a Nutshell
    • Poke This Member
I feel lost
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:39:13 PM »
Hello everyone, I am new here to this forum. I am 28 and for about 8 months I have been having a lot of anxiety and panic attacks. I went to see a psychologist because for the longest time I refused to get medication. I didn't want to have to rely on a drug to feel better. I met with her and she basically told me I was depressed and should get medication. When I saw her in December, I was so tired and done with being afraid. I honestly didn't think that I would make it to 2014... but here I am. I went to the doctor to get anti-depressants and I've been taking them for two days now. I know it takes a month for them to take affect but they make me feel so lousy.

The worst part about all this is that it's starting to affect my work, school and personal life. I feel like I'm letting everyone down, including myself, because I need time to recover. I just want to quit everything and go far away by myself so I can heal mentally but I can't afford that and I have so many obligations. I don't have any kids though, so I don't have to worry about that.

Along with medication I am also reading Mind Over Mood (cognitive behavioral therapy) and I previously read Mindful Awareness which helped. I am trying so hard to stay positive but sometimes, when I dread going to work or even going out with friends, I feel like there is no hope. Why am I afraid to go out of my house? Why do I get so scared when I wait in line at Chipotle to where I feel like I'm going to faint and my hands get all sweaty?

I don't know what I am afraid of, but I'm tired of being afraid.
Bookmark and Share
"It feels like I'm raining and three apples are my stomach"

Offline CammyCam

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I feel lost
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »
Hello, I'm Cam!

I literally could've written your post except I've not taken medication yet.

I've been having panic/ anxiety attacks on and off for 3 years. The symptoms are taking over my life and I've felt like it can't cope anymore on more than one occasion. They take over my life in so many ways. I've tried all sorts and I can't shake the attacks. In fact, I'm writing this now to distract myself from having another one!!

I understand how you feel...

Cam.
Bookmark and Share
I didn't want normal until I didn't have it anymore....

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:01:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline marpizza

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Binding Infinity in a Nutshell
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 02:35:43 PM »
Hi Cam, nice to meet you :)

I tried really hard to not get medication but I realized that sometimes the chemical levels in the brain might be a little off and medication actually helps to get everything back to normal. I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum about the medication I'm on called Lexapro, and a lot of people have a hard time starting on any antidepressant because it makes you feel weird and tired. But I just have to not give up. Lexapro also helps with GAD. I also have xanax as a "rescue" in case I get a really bad panic attack.

I've only been on this forum for a few days but reading about other peoples experiences and being able to talk with people who suffer the same symptoms as me has REALLY helped more than I thought it would. I know that feeling better will take time... I just have to be patient and not give up. And I have to surround myself with people who are supportive. And I have to learn to not stress out so much.
Bookmark and Share
"It feels like I'm raining and three apples are my stomach"

Offline CammyCam

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:09:01 PM »
I'm going to the doc on Friday because I've got to the point where I can't struggle on any more and I think I might need a helping hand medically. I've tried everything else!

You're in the right place, the posts on here make me feel like I'm not the only one and that helps a lot :)

Bookmark and Share
I didn't want normal until I didn't have it anymore....

Tags: depression GAD anxiety