Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anxiety about passing out and dizziness  (Read 586 times)

Offline sarahjxde

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anxiety about passing out and dizziness
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:17:20 PM »
So I have severe anxiety. Whenever I'm in public, I make myself feel dizzy because I constantly think about me passing out in public because of my anxiety. I'm nervous because I'm starting back up college on Monday and I don't want to feel dizzy in class. Im also scared to drive because I'm scared I'll have a panic attack and feel dizzy and lose control. I have xanax, but I don't know if that will help with the "dizziness". Anybody have advice or can relate with me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline shanlee80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anxiety about passing out and dizziness
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:22:54 AM »
I can relate. I guess what I try to remind myself is that even though I have been dizzy and felt like passing out before, I never have. So after all the times I thought I might, I ended up being just fine. Just try to work on your breathing. In through your nose, hold it for a few seconds, exhale through your mouth. You are ok!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:13:45 PM »
Passing out doesnt feel like you think it would. The last time I passed out is a great example, so I'll share it. This is the exact sequence of events as I can recall them: "I'll put the dishes away why am I on the floor?"
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:52:53 PM »
You exactly describe what I go through every day Sarah! I am always *waiting* to pass out, and in public or at work I also make myself dizzy or light headed thinking any second I'm going to collapse and die. For over a year my mind wouldn't stop repeating the same "I think I'm going to pass out/What if I pass out/Any second I'll faint" type of phrases. It has taken a lot of willpower the last few months for me to get those sayings mostly out of my head, but it doesn't stop the dizzy or lightheaded feelings. I honestly don't have an answer for you because I don't have one myself, but you are NOT alone!

A breathing thing that I learned that is true about myself is that when I do start having the dizzy/light headed feeling, I notice that I breathing with my chest moving, which is actually a very shallow breath and can make the dizziness start. So I try to do more expansive but slower belly breaths, which is hard to retrain yourself (if you notice you do it too), but it will sometimes making the dizzy feeling a little better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarahjxde

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »
it's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there with this strange phobia!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Deeb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 09:02:31 PM »
Hi, I used to have it, and still sometimes have it too! It helped me when my therapist told me that I shouldn't actually pass out during a panic attack, because there's just too much adrenaline in my system - I'm not sure if it makes sense but I've had so many panic attacks throughout the years, and never passed out as a result (and always felt like it!), so it does sound right to me.
I agree with Isa about breathing - you have to pay attention to breath properly, deeply, it helps a bit.
Though I guess the only cure is through medication/therapy - what you have is basically panic attacks and unfortunately these dont stop by themselves  :( breathing or taking a moment to sit down to calm down are just temporary solutions, unfortunately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »
This is simply agoraphobia and is a common ailment which helps fuel the anxiety feedback loop.

You will not pass out - and I know it feels like it's going to happen, but you quite simply will not. Ask yourself how many times you've ever passed out due to being in vulnerable contexts, situations, places, etc. The answer to that should reveal what's really going on: anxiety and self-driven panic.

Agoraphobia manifests itself in various ways but the most common are simply fear of being in places you cannot control, fear of having a panic attack in front of others, and fear of losing control. None of these things will happen. Let the panic go in that direction and try not to escape the situation - instead using deep breathing exercises to manage it. You will then see you did not pass out - and more importantly, your brain will also register this.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: