Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety about ovarian cancer  (Read 302 times)

Offline mollyelaine

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety about ovarian cancer
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:40:10 AM »
First time posting here. I'm 21 female who has been suffering from health anxiety since I was a child. I've "had" everything from MS to heart failure to lung cancer.

Recently, I've been experiencing symptoms that have really scared me. About a month ago, I bled once during sex and I wasn't on my period. Now, a few days after my period ended, I've been experiencing moderate pelvic pain, GI issues, and feeling like I have a full bladder. I have a history of UTIs but it doesn't feel like that because no burning when I pee (sorry, TMI). I can't shake the feeling that I have ovc. I haven't been able to leave my bed much in days because I am consumed with the idea that it can't be anything but cancer. It's a few days before I can see a doctor and would really appreciate some comfort.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety about ovarian cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:23:13 AM »
First off, welcome to AZ! :)

I get many of these symptoms as well and have cystic ovaries. This just means that I have many follicular cysts in my ovaries. They come and go. They are not cancerous. I am not saying that you have cysts but what I am saying is that it's WAY more likely for your symptoms to be caused by something as benign as functioning cysts then ovarian cancer. Hopefully your visit to your doctor will ease your mind!
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Allytiel90

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:05:38 PM »
I was so 100% sure I had ovarian cancer a couple months back. Oh my gosh the crying breakdowns! I was feeling very bloated, constipated, and I was getting a very heavy stabbing feeling in my rectum when I walked or sat down. I knew it was the tumor pressing on things in there. I also spotted after sex right in that time which NEVER happens to me. Went to my doc, insisted I have ovarian cancer. I got a full blood work up. Came back clear. I got 2 ultrasounds, one lower abdominal and one transvaginal. Came back clear. Wasn't good enough more me. I went to my OB/gyn.  Had two more very detailed ultrasounds. Came back clear. I was even shown the pictures of my very normal ovaries. So my fear lasted about 2 months. After talking to my OB/gyn and seeing the Pictures my few rpretty much went away. Only to be replaced by lymphoma fear. I'm 23. I don't think you have ovarian cancer at all, but for peace of mind you can always see your OB
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »
My MIL has ovarian cancer and the symptoms you describe sound NOTHING like hers.  In fact, she had no clue that what she was experiencing was cancer...

Nausea/Vomiting
Alternating diarrhea/constipation
Unexplained weight gain in the abdomen

Her symptoms never improved, just persisted and then got worse over the course of just a few weeks.  She figured she had a really bad stomach bug and that's what sent her to the doctor.

My guess is you could have another UTI...or perhaps some kind of infection :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jad322

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
I thought the very same thing. I went to the doctor and I had a cyct on the ovary. They performed a cancer screen and everything. All normal. I did a u/s of pelvic too. All normal. The problem with anxiety is that it never gives you a break. Now,  I have to remind myself that the test were normal and believe the results. Anxiety of course wont accept that and now I think I have something else. Just keep telling your mind, stop this!
Bookmark and Share

Offline atleswoolf

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »
I'll echo mct425.  My mother has ovarian cancer, which she developed at age 65, and her symptoms (which I won't relate here, since you'll then start thinking you have them :) ) were nothing at all like yours.  I think that you probably have nothing to worry about, given your age and your symptoms.
Bookmark and Share
I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.  -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922.