Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Flu? Cold? Anxiety!  (Read 261 times)

Offline elithath

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Flu? Cold? Anxiety!
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »
Hey all,

I have been in a bit of an anxious stretch for a while now. Quitting my master's program, planning to move to a new city, job hunting... all of that is very stressful!

This morning I woke up with a bloody nose, and my nose has been running all day. I keep checking my temperature, but it hovers around 97.7 - 98.7. I'm really afraid this isn't a cold or sinusitis, but of course, INFLUENZA. And of course, influenza that kills! (H1N1 is the most common one this season.)

The mortality rate for flu is around 0.2 per 100,000, or 0.0002% according to the CDC. So why am I so nervous? I'm a slightly overweight 25 year old male. But my mind keeps jumping to that. Stupid, I know. Irrational. People get the flu and colds all the time. But there were a few news articles about a 35-year-old in my state (and other young people around the country) dying from this strain of flu.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline elithath

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Flu? Cold? Anxiety!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 06:30:56 PM »
Ah, I just took my temperature and it's 99 now. So it's been going up slowly for the past two hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxiousintexas247

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »
Same boat here. Im in Texas where its been really bad  :( this has totally consumed my mind all week. i have 4 kids, and my oldest goes back to kindergarten on tuesday..im so scared shell pick it up there. my baby (8 months old) got sick with a cold a few weeks ago, and i seemed to have caught a bit of it last week...ive been feeling more like myself but still have a cough. Today my oldest had a basketball game and believe me i did not want to go...i mean i love watching her, but the fear of the flu is consuming me as i said. we went, and it was on my mind the whole time. i even took lysol wipes and wiped down the seats. but now, my nose is starting to run a tad & i checked my temp (been checking it every single day off and on all day this week) and its 99.3 so im horrified i picked up something  :( :( :( :( im so anxiety ridden over this my appetite has decreased quite a bit. All i had today to eat was one piece of pizza..and i feel hungry but just the thought of eating doesnt sit well with me. 

Did you take the flu shot?
Bookmark and Share

Offline elithath

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
No flu shot. I kept putting it off. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxiousintexas247

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »
I didnt get it either. Ive heard so much scary stuff about people having reactions and dying. Didnt get my kids it either because of my fears as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jennam22

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »
Any history of sinus problems? You can have similar symptoms of flu/cold with a sinus infection. Try some sudafed see if it gets better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:12:36 AM »
hi
sorry you are struggling with this fear. i too struggle with it some. my best advice is to get the flu shot. actually, the best thing is to get the quadrivalent flu shot. or since that is hard to find, get the flu mist if you can(it is a quad as well). this is the most comprehensive harmless thing to do. i get a flu shot(and yes, it sometimes makes me anxious because of possible side effects)and so does my son. you can still get the flu even if you get vaccinated, but it will be less severe.  go now and get vaccinated.

second, the flu doesn't take days to come on like a cold does. it hits you hard. a high fever is usually the first symptom. a runny nose isn't even the most common symptom at all. some folks don't get the congestion.  my thinking is, you KNOW if you have the flu. 

third, if you do get the flu, go get tested and treated within the first 24 hours. antiviral meds help alot with the flu

my nephew had the flu 2 weeks ago. he had a fever and sore throat, went to dr, had flu test which was positive. he took tamiflu and by sunday felt fine. seriously. the flu can be scary, and it's a fact of life so we have to learn to live with it the best we can. it's not going away and you can't control it. worrying about it for ever will ruin your life.  just do the preventative steps and worry about it if it happens.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Swabby

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:38:20 PM »
I am a very anxious person too. I got the flu shot in October. In mid November I got the flu. It wasn't all that bad. I was really tired for a day and had a lingering cough but got over it within a week. Complications and hospitalization from the flu are pretty rare. Millions of people get the flu and get over it each year with no issue. Take care of yourself and you will be fine.. We're all in this together!!

Hey all,

I have been in a bit of an anxious stretch for a while now. Quitting my master's program, planning to move to a new city, job hunting... all of that is very stressful!

This morning I woke up with a bloody nose, and my nose has been running all day. I keep checking my temperature, but it hovers around 97.7 - 98.7. I'm really afraid this isn't a cold or sinusitis, but of course, INFLUENZA. And of course, influenza that kills! (H1N1 is the most common one this season.)

The mortality rate for flu is around 0.2 per 100,000, or 0.0002% according to the CDC. So why am I so nervous? I'm a slightly overweight 25 year old male. But my mind keeps jumping to that. Stupid, I know. Irrational. People get the flu and colds all the time. But there were a few news articles about a 35-year-old in my state (and other young people around the country) dying from this strain of flu.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: