Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: vision problems and brain fog  (Read 454 times)

Offline jones8y

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
vision problems and brain fog
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »
Hey all this is my first day on this site but it looks like it could be a good find, as I have suffered from anxiety my whole life really and have no one to talk about it with or even never been to see a doctor about it I thought this my be a good place to start.

For as long as I can remember I have had serious brain fog which makes me slower than most at various things that involve using any kind of brain cells also my memory is ridiculously bad (I'm 25 btw) which makes it really really hard and slow to learn things.

The main reason for me writing this post though is the fact that and this is very hard for me to explain but my eyes seem to be playing up although my eye sight is fully clear and all well, my focus is slow to focus on things and all day (I mean all day where ever I may be or doing with NO breaks) it's as if my eyes are staring into space even when I look around or walk around my eyes zone out and feel strained all the time (constantly even after loads of sleep) and the only way to stop this strenuous staring is to consciously focus my eyes on a certain thing and then as soon as I stop this real effort of focusing it goes straight back to staring mode.

I was just wondering if this is a symptom of anxiety as I can't escape it and it plagues my mind often as no matter what I'm doing my eyes feel weird and it seems to make me miss ALOT of things and leaves me constantly confused irritated also reading is extremely hard and what I do read I never remember unless I read it 4 or 5 times.

One other thing is that I seem to look at things but it's like it doesn't register in my brain, I will give an example.. As I deliver food for a living.. quiet often I will look at the ticket with the address on it and see it says number 52 etc then I will be looking at the numbers on the doors and see 52 but tell my self it's 54 and go to the one next door then after going to 54 I will realise I just walked past the number I was looking for but my brain registered it as another number. This is just one example, so do you guys think this is all due to anxiety as it's really getting to me being it's so constant and no matter what I'm doing it's the same.

Thanks in advance

Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: vision problems and brain fog
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
Hi,

Hope you find us to be supportive and helpful . . . I have not experienced exactly what you are describing but for a long time, I did have difficulty in focusing which affected how I processed information . . . I would be distracted by the anxiety song in the background and was not focusing on objective reality very effectively . . . .

I guess my first instinct is to suggest that you do see a professional . . . . anxiety manifests itself differently for each individual . . . .depending on our experiences, backgrounds, physical health, emotional health, etc. so, indeed, this could be a symptom of your anxiety . . . .

If you have suffered from anxiety your whole life, it might be that it is catching up to you . . there are probably triggers that might be buried or reasons why your anxiety is coming through in this fashion . . . but, with guidance and dedication, you can recover from anxiety . . . .it is at times a bit frustrating; there might be setbacks (there were with me) and recovery is an ongoing process and not a one day event (I only wish it were) . . . .

I can't say for sure whether this is anxiety or not . . . .but I can tell you it is better to consult a med professional, find out what is going on, and start your recovery rather than just worrying about it which only feeds the anxiety . . . . please know that we are a very engaging community . . . we will support you however we can, but sincerely, your first step is to find out exactly what is going on and that you can only do with some guidance from a trained professional . . . please check in when you feel you can . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline jones8y

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
Hey Kconnors,

hanks for you reply I too your advice and had an phone consultation with a GB who suggested me to go in tomorrow to talk to someone about maybe starting me on propranolol for some temp relieve also about start CBT.

So I hope this may finally be my starting point in combating this life long anxiety battle , the only concern I have is that the propranolol could make it even harder to fall asleep than it already is.

Thanks again
J
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Hiya,

That is good news . . . . sometimes all is needed is a med to serve as a temporary bridge to give us some footing so we can start the recovery . . . if you have concerns about propranolol, do make them known to your doctor . . . . you need to make an informed decision for you and the first step is to ask your questions . . . I have had great personal success with CBT . . . as I always say, it can be frustrating and even disappointing at times but it does work once I saw it as a process and not a quick fix event . . . just remember that you can come here whenever . . . .to check in, to let us know how things are going, just to connect with a group of folks who do understand that the process may not be the prettiest, but, in the end, it does lead to recovery . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline jones8y

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »
Thanks for the support!

It's been a real rollercoaster recently and after going to see my GB and him prescribing me 80 mg one a day all day slow release propranolol I started taking it and wooow the first 7 days or so it was amazing, I hadn't felt that calm and just generally stress free letting things roll of my back and not so tense or on edge since I was around 8 years old! and that's the truth!

But just a few days ago it seems to have caught up with me and although I don't feel as tense as I use to.. my eyes have been getting ridiculously tired and strained which has been making me get irritated easy and unable to concentrate on ANYTHING even worse than before I start the medication, so much so that I nearly didn't take my dose today to take a break from it and even wrighting this Is really difficult as these past few I've been really scattery.

I'm hoping this isn't going to last much longer and will sort it's self out tomorrow but if not I would have to resort back to my old tense self but at least I will be able to use my eyes properly and think at least half straight, it's a shame really as the first week I really made good progress getting my family, social, work and general life back on track until my eyes started playing up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pearljamfan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
Hi Jones,

I am happy to hear your treatment has somewhat worked thus far. I saw your note about your eyes. I have anxiety and ever since my severe anxiety started a few years ago my eyes have bother me as well as on a regular basis.  I have been to a billion eye people.

For me I cant pin point one source as the cause but have found that there are many sources. Sometimes its too much computer use as I work with one at work. Driving can cause major strain for me and if I go long distances in the rain it takes my eyes a good two or three days to become semi normal again. I also have dry eye, which can cause additional strain. Do you have dry eye? How is your vision? Do you squint a lot or when you are looking at something are the muscles around your eyes being used in a tense manner? I video taped myself one night and found that my eyes were moving intensely throughout the night, it didn't happen every night but the nights they did I felt it bad in the morning. If your eyes do not feel rested in the morning there could be a number of issues (extended rapid eye movement, not closing your eyes fully when you sleep, dry eye, etc.).  You could try a humidifier, dont have a fan or any windows open, and wear a blindfold.

If your eyes feel rested in the morning but don't as the day progresses I would get your vision checked.

I feel like have bad anxiety days when my eyes are not right but its due to the strain and dry eye.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: