Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How I am conquering my anxiety  (Read 291 times)

Offline YazzHay

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How I am conquering my anxiety
« on: January 04, 2014, 02:58:42 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'm quite new here, but I've been suffering from quite severe hypochondria for 3 months now. I've recently adopted some techniques that have greatly helped me in conquering my fears. Hopefully they'll be able to help you, too!

As my anxiety spiraled out of control about 3 weeks ago (where I rushed to the emergency room, genuinely believing I was seriously ill) I realized it was time to take serious action. I was lucky it happened during my winter break, as I am currently a student, which has given me ample time to regain some sense of balance in my life. I have basically done the following:

1) Took time off for myself. I stopped trying to surrounding myself with people to forget my problems, because that just caused them to build up subconsciously.
2) I scheduled 15 minutes every day to talk to a friend/family member about what I am worrying about. For the rest of the day I refused to worry about anything. HEARING yourself say what you think makes it so much easier to combat your fears, because only then do you truly realize how illogical they are. If you can't find someone to talk to that day, writing it down is also a big help. After those 15 minutes, use 5 minutes to come up with other possible reasons for the symptoms you experience. For example, having chest pains could easily be due to anxiety rather than a heart attack, considering the fact you are 19 years old.
3) Eat healthily. I can't stress this enough. I'm quite sure my anxiety was partially caused by some lack of nutrients. I began to eat home-cooked food and taking Magnesium supplements. I take a multi-vitamin every once in a while as well! This had the quickest impact on my overall health and happiness, to be honest.
4) Exercise. This is a really big one as well. At first, my body was so exhausted from my anxiety and the insomnia that came along with it that this was difficult. With every passing day, I'm able to do more! I started with 20 minutes of brisk walking. I am currently starting to incorporate some running into my work-out regimen, which now lasts about 30-45 minutes.
5) Meditation and breathing exercises. This is also a big one. I occasionally feel dizzy and light headed. I realized this is probably due to unconscious hyperventilation. By taking 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening to meditate/focus on my breathing, I am better able to control my dizziness.
6) I've started to get back into my hobbies. When you're constantly anxious, you start to lose interest in the things you usually enjoy. Therefore, I made sure to begin playing the piano/guitar again. I try listening to some of my favorite music and I search for new musical artists online. Try to rediscover what you're passionate about- it genuinely makes a significant impact on your overall well-being.
7) Finally, and most importantly, I completely stopped searching my symptoms online. The doctors say it's anxiety, so I'll believe them rather than create catastrophic scenarios in my head. If you must go online, search for the success stories - people who survived whatever sickness you're worrying about. Better yet, if you've been properly diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, search for people who beat anxiety. Reading those positive accounts really helped change my frame of mind.

I still have some lingering symptoms and I am gradually working on getting rid of them. These are some of the things that have helped me, but I should stress the fact that if you feel the need to talk to a professional, that is definitely a good option. You don't necessarily have to start medication to feel better, but a professional will always know best. I wish you all the absolute best.

Kind regards,
Yazz x
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How I am conquering my anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
Good tips!  Thanks for sharing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Floridagal10

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How I am conquering my anxiety
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I hope they continue to work for you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: