Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Vitamin D Deficiency...a few questions  (Read 661 times)

Offline cravenmobile

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Vitamin D Deficiency...a few questions
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
I'm in North Dakota and my doctor said that I was very low as well. One thing to remember is that your body may only take as much off a bulk amount of vitamin D taken all at once and just pee the rest out. When I take mine, I break the large amount and just take a portion each morning and each evening.

That's true of water soluble vitamins but Vitamin D is fat soluble, so your body retains quite a bit more than the water soluble vitamins. That's why some people take a very large dose, 10,000 or more units once per week instead of daily. Of course each person may vary individually with how well it's absorbed.

Thanks for pointing that out. Just did my homework and learned a lot about the mechanics Vit D. I was thinking that It worked the same as C or B
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Vitamin D Deficiency...a few questions
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 04:05:57 PM »
I know that Vitamin D deficiency is common in individuals...especially in people living in the Northern part of the US (where I live). In February of last year, my vitamin d levels were insufficient. According to my lab, anything above 20 is normal and I was at a 13. I have been taking 50,000 iu's of Vitamin D once a week since the beginning of March. When my levels were rechecked in July, I was up to 23. When they were just rechecked yesterday, I was at at 27. This doesn't seem to be going up quick enough considering I am on a prescription level dose of Vitamin D. Now, I do realize that we are in the middle of the winter and I am not soaking in a lot of natural vitamin d from the sun.

Questions:

1.) Is there anything else that I can do to raise my vitamin d?

2.) How long does it take to raise vitamin d levels?

3.) Is there something wrong with me and I am not absorbing this vitamin d?! My levels are creeping! I know that none of you are doctors, here.

I am sure that others have had experience with this on the board. I want my levels to be in the 50's or more. I know that higher levels of D are linked to better success with warding off various types of cancers.

Don't be so sure about that. Nobody is immune to mental health problems, and a few of us here actually are medical professionals :)

Ancient - Oh yes! I received my medical degree just by reading webmd years ago!  :goofy: :spineyes: :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tags: