Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Vitamin D Deficiency...a few questions  (Read 690 times)

Online Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Vitamin D Deficiency...a few questions
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
I know that Vitamin D deficiency is common in individuals...especially in people living in the Northern part of the US (where I live). In February of last year, my vitamin d levels were insufficient. According to my lab, anything above 20 is normal and I was at a 13. I have been taking 50,000 iu's of Vitamin D once a week since the beginning of March. When my levels were rechecked in July, I was up to 23. When they were just rechecked yesterday, I was at at 27. This doesn't seem to be going up quick enough considering I am on a prescription level dose of Vitamin D. Now, I do realize that we are in the middle of the winter and I am not soaking in a lot of natural vitamin d from the sun.

Questions:

1.) Is there anything else that I can do to raise my vitamin d?

2.) How long does it take to raise vitamin d levels?

3.) Is there something wrong with me and I am not absorbing this vitamin d?! My levels are creeping! I know that none of you are doctors, here.

I am sure that others have had experience with this on the board. I want my levels to be in the 50's or more. I know that higher levels of D are linked to better success with warding off various types of cancers.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Vitamin D Deficiency...a few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:21:34 AM »
No one has insight on this?
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:36:41 AM »
Last physical mine was low-i live in california.  Doc just said take 4000 units a day-didnt seem to worried.  Retest in 3-4 months and it was better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »
Ask if there are any concentrated drops you can take. I was ***** 18 and could only get my level up about ten points with capsules. My doctor recommended the drops because they are usually better absorbed. Three months on the drops and I was up to 53 for my level.  Recommended level  is 30 by labs typically but recent research suggests 50 may be more ideal. Vitamin d seems to have more functions than we originally thought. Because it is stored in the fat you can get too high of a vitamin D level, but that's about 100
Bookmark and Share

Online Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
Thank you Ancient! I will ask about the drops. Your doc prescribed them for you? I seem to not he having much success with the pills. I don't think they are concentrated enough. I too want my levels at least in the 50s.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
They weren't by prescription, but a specialty order item. She runs a skin and health clinic as one of her other business ventures and sells them there. So it may take some hunting to find them, but perhaps a specialty health or vitamin store may have them, or you could look online. They just seem to absorb into the system better than the capsules.
Bookmark and Share

Online Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Thank you Ancient. I'll definitely look into it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jennam22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:13 AM »
It's somewhat a slow/steady pace that it increases, from what I've heard. I also have a deficiency and have found that walking outside for about 30 minutes a day (even not in the sun) has helped and also adding vitamin d rich foods (dark leafy greens, milk, fish) has helped. Also, multivitamins taken along with your vitamin d help to ensure it's absorbing into your bloodstream. Calcium and magnesium are some key vitamins and minerals that help aid the D's absorption. Just be sure not to take too much! Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Online Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
Jenn - good advice! Coincidentally, I stopped taking my multivitamin around the same time I started taking the vitamin d. I'll have to reincorporate it! Thanks for the suggestions. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline cravenmobile

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »
I'm in North Dakota and my doctor said that I was very low as well. One thing to remember is that your body may only take as much off a bulk amount of vitamin D taken all at once and just pee the rest out. When I take mine, I break the large amount and just take a portion each morning and each evening.
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 02:10:21 PM »
Just keep taking your supplements.   Mine was at a 13 and my doctor said it was supposed to be in the 50's.  I go to have it rechecked next week, but he did tell me it's not something you can get up immediately, it takes a good amount of time to do so.

Bookmark and Share

Online Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »
threnners - I've been taking 50,000 iu's a week for almost a year now and I've only went up 14 points. I have been patient but I don't know if continuing to take my normal supplements is going to do much. I'm looking into taking a more concentrated form of Vitamin D. Of course, with my docs permission.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »
I had a psychical last march (almost a year ago) and my but D level was low. I was a 19 and ideal range was 30 on my lab sheet. My Doctor gave me a scrip for 50,000 ius to take once a week for 5 weeks and after that take a regular supplement! I have been taking a muti women's vitamin and a gummie vit D supplement which equals 3,000 ius a day. I have not had my levels rechecked yet. I am so worried about mine being low because your chances of cancer seem to be higher and that's my life's biggest fear. I need to make an appt for my physical soon and I hope my levels went up. I don't think you have anything medically wrong with you. I know when googling low vit D you get things like kidney problems but I think there would be other issues. Continue your supplements and if you need reassurance ask your dr :) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »
I know that Vitamin D deficiency is common in individuals...especially in people living in the Northern part of the US (where I live). In February of last year, my vitamin d levels were insufficient. According to my lab, anything above 20 is normal and I was at a 13. I have been taking 50,000 iu's of Vitamin D once a week since the beginning of March. When my levels were rechecked in July, I was up to 23. When they were just rechecked yesterday, I was at at 27. This doesn't seem to be going up quick enough considering I am on a prescription level dose of Vitamin D. Now, I do realize that we are in the middle of the winter and I am not soaking in a lot of natural vitamin d from the sun.

Questions:

1.) Is there anything else that I can do to raise my vitamin d?

2.) How long does it take to raise vitamin d levels?

3.) Is there something wrong with me and I am not absorbing this vitamin d?! My levels are creeping! I know that none of you are doctors, here.

I am sure that others have had experience with this on the board. I want my levels to be in the 50's or more. I know that higher levels of D are linked to better success with warding off various types of cancers.

Don't be so sure about that. Nobody is immune to mental health problems, and a few of us here actually are medical professionals :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 07:31:07 PM »
I'm in North Dakota and my doctor said that I was very low as well. One thing to remember is that your body may only take as much off a bulk amount of vitamin D taken all at once and just pee the rest out. When I take mine, I break the large amount and just take a portion each morning and each evening.

That's true of water soluble vitamins but Vitamin D is fat soluble, so your body retains quite a bit more than the water soluble vitamins. That's why some people take a very large dose, 10,000 or more units once per week instead of daily. Of course each person may vary individually with how well it's absorbed.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: