Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Intro  (Read 131 times)

Offline Sasha

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Intro
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:00:55 AM »
Hi there,

I'm here because I've been struggling with moderate to severe anxiety for 8+ years and it's seriously debilitating my life. I've been telling myself that I can figure it out on my own/"get over" or "think" my way through it, but what I've been doing obviously hasn't been working. The nature of my anxiety has changed over the years, and in the last two especially I've been especially avoidant, even towards the most basic of things...I've kinda been telling myself that my anxiety isn't "that bad" but it's only because I shelter myself so much, I haven't been living my life. In reality my anxiety is just as bad as ever.

I've been diagnosed with gad/ocd and agoraphobia. I tend to see these things on a continuum and prefer to describe myself as experiencing or having those symptoms...rather then the "disease" being an inherent part of me, if that makes sense...I've also struggled with many frightening panic attacks and feelings of disassociation which plays a pretty big role in my avoidant behavior now.

I saw a psychiatrist a few days ago. It was my second time seeing one, and I've been in counseling on and off before. I've never taken meds for this before (was too anxious to try the previous prescription) and I never thought I would, but at this point working through my anxiety "on my own" feels so exhausting and impossible that I think I should try medication, because the anxiety has just been ruining me.

Trying medication is what prompted me to join this forum because it's very new to me and I've still been too afraid to try it. I have questions about that I'll post elsewhere.

Thanks for reading!
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 03:52:42 AM »
Hello Sasha,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

I have been suffering with anxiety for about the same length of time as you.  It is a long and hard road to travel.  I have had much success with therapy, but I go regularly and really work on the tools I learn there.  Accepting the panic and anxiety for what they are and facing my fears despite the anxiety have been the best tools to help me cope and still live my life.  Avoiding situations just fuels the fears and makes the anxiety worse.  I hope you are able to find the information and support you are looking for here. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline Sasha

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Intro
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
Thank you so much for the warm welcome crikee  :action-smiley-065:

I actually just made an appointment with a new therapist. I agree with what you've said. It's very encouraging to hear it from someone else, even though it's scary! I need to remind myself to take things one day at a time.

Sasha
Bookmark and Share

Tags: