Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: To Medicate or Not to Medicate? I don't want to, but...  (Read 1041 times)

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: To Medicate or Not to Medicate? I don't want to, but...
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 03:23:56 AM »
honestly, just medicate. for 5 years of my life i wasted my life thinking i can get over my numerous mental disorders. then i spent 2 years of that 5 finding natural methods to calm my anxiety. the only thing that helped was exercise, and it really didn't help that much at all. getting on psychiatric medications is really scary, and i have had bad experiences. but where i am now, is so much better. why is it so taboo to treat mental illnesses with pills? should we just give up any synthetic chemical because it is not from the ground? natural does not equal safe. cocaine comes from coca plants, opium is from opium poppys, i mean even cyanide comes from natural sources! and someone above mentioned they don't like medicating their feelings, but why? isn't it so important how we feel in this world? you'll take an antibiotic for a cyst but you won't take a medication for your MENTAL health? mental disorders are usually chronic, it's not like the brain just stops being sick (though you can go into remission). we are dealing with the most important organ in our body, our brain. when your brain is plagued by mental illness your whole reality is affected. you being alive is painful. the most effective non medication way is cognitive behavioral therapy, along with counseling. but why not try a med? just because bad things have happened to other people does not mean it will happen to you. also even though no one brought this up, but i see so many people saying psych meds are overprescribed, but how is this when most people with mental illness do NOT seek treatment? i can't tell you how many of my friends have a mental illness(es), and out of all my friends TWO PEOPLE take meds for it. the others suffer because of this pill fear. i hope this didn't sound harsh, i just wanted to be 100% honest. we only live for so long, so we may as well make our time here enjoyable, or atleast tolerable. good luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 06:12:35 AM »
you'll take an antibiotic for a cyst but you won't take a medication for your MENTAL health

I think a very large part of this is because they are called mental disorders, and not what they really are, brain disorders. This has allowed them to be dismissed as minor conditions that we should be able to just get over if only we'd "pull ourselves together."

No one would think of telling an epileptic to "pull himself together" these days, but this too was considered a mental disorder until the late 1930s. The brain differences found in epilepsy are also found in those with anxiety disorders. In both there are fewer benzodiazepine-GABA binding sites than normal and the ones that exist are less sensitive which is why benzodiazepines work so well for both conditions.

When I achieve world domination one of my first acts will be to ban the use of the term 'mental disorders.' There are few words that have caused as much anguish and frustration as that combination.  :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »
I'm ok with the term mental health....what I don't like is the term "behavioral health". My psychiatrist works at the "outpatient behavioral health clinic" I spent months blaming myself for my anxiety and depression (which as you might guess worsened my anxiety and depression) so the term behavioral health feels like it has sort of an antagonistic slant.

To the OP: put your trust in your medical providers, if you feel comfortable and trusting with them, accept their assessment and advice for you. That's my best advice. As a medical practitioner myself I think I spent almost a little too much time in the driver's seat and I kind of have to remind myself when I have my appointments, I'm going to be the patient now, not the practitioner. Ask your psychotherapist whether they feel you're making progress. Therapy is an excellent tool, yet sometimes you can be so overcome by your anxiety symptoms that you cannot process it effectively. So it can be very helpful there. An important thing with medication: start at a low dose if you do an SSRI or similar medication and be aware that there can be some challenging start up side effects....and often these will pass. A lot of us with anxiety may panic because we are afraid of the side effects and stop something in a few days that could potentially be beneficial.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline liza9560

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
Again, thanks everybody!  I've started taking Zoloft.  I actually took my first dose last Thursday, and then one Friday.  It made me sleepy and gassy, shaky and anxious, chilly and sweaty.  I had a long weekend car ride and trip to take with five other people, so I didn't take it on Saturday.  I felt fine--a little anxiety here and there, but generally happy and good.  I finally took it again last night (Sunday night).  My doc recommended I take 50 mg to start, and after maybe a month to up the dosage if needed.

I got a headache after I took it last night, but three hours after I took it I was able to fall asleep.  I also was able to sleep well, only awakening once.  After about 9 hours of sleep I awoke and felt really shaky and yucky.  I got up and made and ate breakfast, although I had no appetite.  I lay back down and dozed for a few hours.

Today has been pretty freaky. :(  I went to the grocery store in a fog.  My anxiety is kicking HARD.  This is the hardest it's hit me since I started the stuff.  Perhaps my skipping the Saturday dose has something to do with it, but honestly, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with this in the van full of people on the 9 hour ride.

I've read plenty that says things will get better with the Zoloft, so I think I'll persevere.  I decided to take this stuff for a reason; I must keep reminding myself that.  I also have friends that have taken it and successfully weened themselves off of it, with good reviews.  There is hope.  ***** gets so scary sometimes, though!

I'm also going to call my doc and ask if it's ok to go down to 25 mg for now.  I have some klonopins in case I really need to get it together for something, but I want to take those things sparingly.

Sheesh. :P   
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
I had a long weekend car ride and trip to take with five other people, so I didn't take it on Saturday.

Antidepressants must be taken daily. They work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells and it is best if this process isn't interrupted. 

My doc recommended I take 50 mg to start, and after maybe a month to up the dosage if needed.

For most this is too high a starting dose. 25mg would have been kinder.

Today has been pretty freaky. :(  I went to the grocery store in a fog.  My anxiety is kicking HARD.  This is the hardest it's hit me since I started the stuff.  Perhaps my skipping the Saturday dose has something to do with it, but honestly, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with this in the van full of people on the 9 hour ride.

Skipping the Saturday dose probably had nothing to do with it. Antidepressants make anxiety worse in the first few weeks which is why a lower starting dose is better.

I'm also going to call my doc and ask if it's ok to go down to 25 mg for now.

A very good idea. 

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: