Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Doctor advised me to get this book, anyone ever read it?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Tiredofbeingsickandtired

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Doctor advised me to get this book, anyone ever read it?
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:15:26 PM »
Ive been experiencing 24/7 anxiety for a couple months now. Went to see my family doctor after a psychiatrist pumped me full of medication that made me worse, and he suggested the book "Mind over Mood" by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky.  Has anyone ever read this book? He seems to think it can cure me of my constant debilitating anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doctor advised me to get this book, anyone ever read it?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion . . . I have not read this book . . . .it sounds as if it is based on CBT . . . . I'm going to look into it and see if I can find reviews on the web . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tiredofbeingsickandtired

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »
No problem. I ordered it on Friday, should be here Monday. My doctor seems to think that between that and exercise I can overcome anxiety without medication, so here's hoping!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
Hi TOBSAT...

Like KC mentioned, I haven't read this book either, but here is a short review I found on it...

Written by Daniel Wahl:  Do you have a book that you wish you had read ten years earlier?  Mind Over Mood is that book for me.  Written by Drs. Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, it “teaches you to identify your thoughts, moods, behaviors, and physical reactions in small situations as well as during major events in your life.”  Then, in large part by evaluating the propriety of each, the book shows how you can work toward bringing your moods and behaviors in line with the reality of a situation (with the end goal of being happier).  I found the book to be extremely valuable. And I still do too!

You mentioned that your psychiatrist started you on medication, but that it made things worse.  If it was an anti-depressant, these can, with some individuals, carry some rather nasty side effects as well as making one's anxiety worse, initially.  I was started on a new SSRI some six weeks ago.  It made my anxiety go through the roof.  Side effects included insomnia, loss of appetite, sweating, hot and cold flashes/sensations, feeling tired, and having no energy.  I was told that the side effects tend to diminish after about two weeks.  Sure enough, at day 15-16 into my treatment on the SSRI, my side effects rapidly regressed.  I am doing much better now.  My depression is gone.  Intrusive/negative thoughts are now very rare, and the ones I do have seem to just drift right through me.  My appetite has returned, I'm not tired anymore, and my energy level is up.  I would say that my anxiety has decreased by some 75%, and I haven't had a panic attack in 3-4 weeks.

Which ever path you choose, I hope things work out for you.  The best to you, TOBSAT!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: