Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of open places  (Read 225 times)

Offline Summer04

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of open places
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:18:56 PM »
Since I was in middle school I didn't like waiting to cross the street, especially at a busy intersection.  I wasn't worried about getting hit by a car - we had crossing guards to make sure of that - but just the big open space of the street.  Even if it's a small street I don't like it - I don't like the openness.

I was in a large city in my area with my fiance and some friends a couple of months back, and we had to stop at a busy intersection while the light was red.  I became nervous, shaky, had sweaty hands, and grabbed my fiance's hand.  He understands that I have anxiety and is very supportive.  When the light was green I basically pulled him across the street.  Yet when we got to the arena (we were going to a sporting event) I had no problem crossing the street with the crowd of people.  If I'm alone I get nervous, but if I'm in a crowd it's all right.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of open places
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 06:21:32 AM »
The closest I come to this is if I am in a car on a fine lane motorway. We are in the middle lane. I hate that. I can't just sit still. I think with yourself it might be safety in numbers. The more people that are there the less open the spaces are. The people are taken up that space. So you are more at ease. Less people means more open space. You minds kicks into action. I tend to use an MP3 player. Music stops my mind racing away from me. Keeps me calm. Can all be about finding that one thing that works for you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: