Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: After two months of treatment....success!  (Read 1030 times)

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • The heart of me is strong...T.I. J.T.
    • Poke This Member
Re: After two months of treatment....success!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »
I too was surprised when my pdoc was fine with daily longterm klonopin! I found that klonopin and zoloft work very well together. I was able to taper off of zoloft after 2 yrs, and now just take .5mg klonopin once a day and am fine.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »
I too was surprised when my pdoc was fine with daily longterm klonopin! I found that klonopin and zoloft work very well together. I was able to taper off of zoloft after 2 yrs, and now just take .5mg klonopin once a day and am fine.

The problem is that your pdoc may leave, fall under the proverbial bus, etc, and the new one may be less willing to prescribe Klonopin. Might insist that your quit within weeks which could cause much misery.

Benzodiazepines are very effective anti anxiety meds with usually few side-effects, but using them as the primary daily med can be risky, unfortunately.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 05:16:37 PM »
I agree,Ian but if they know I've tried an ssri & it wasn't a good long term med for me(weight gain, raised blood sugar/cholesterol), then they r more willing to be ok with it, as I've discussed it with my gp. And also given the fact I've never raised my dose in 5 yrs and am very strict with it, only take once a day, no alcohol, etc. Another plus, the state I live in. Benzo use is pretty common here.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »
I agree,Ian but if they know I've tried an ssri & it wasn't a good long term med for me(weight gain, raised blood sugar/cholesterol), then they r more willing to be ok with it, as I've discussed it with my gp. And also given the fact I've never raised my dose in 5 yrs and am very strict with it, only take once a day, no alcohol, etc. Another plus, the state I live in. Benzo use is pretty common here.

Cool. You seem to be luckier with this than is generally the case. For some reason the dependency issue has been gaining more traction in recent years. IMHO, it is no more a concern than with antidepressants, some of newer ones can be at least as difficult to wean off, but my opinions don't carry much weight...go figure!  :traurig001:

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
I wish drs would judge benzo appropriateness on each pts use & not generalize. If u can take a benzo & it works-u don't keep increasing the dose, then why be forced to taper?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »
Well now then, aren't you generalizing about doctors   ;D
Not every doctor manages benzos the way you describe, although indeed there is reluctance by many.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
Ha! I was referring to the drs Ian was referring to!! Most of the drs in this state aren't benzo phobes!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:05:33 AM »
I'm on day 3 of 150mg. I started December 1 on a week of 25mg then a week of 50mg then 3 weeks at 100mg. Then like I said at Day 3 now if 150mg and I'm now noticing a difference! I just hope each day/week gets better. I believe it was you who said you thought your normal was normal, but now you really see what "normal" is like bring treated with Zoloft. How long did it take you for that this is working moment? How are you doing now?

it took about six weeks overall, two weeks at the dose that worked best. 'normal' is feeling like i've always felt, minus the racing thoughts and random anxiety. once your body adjusts to the Zoloft (i.e. the side effects start to diminish and you become more clear headed) you know if its working if your anxiety has improved. For me, a low dose of Klonopin has worked together to really make a huge difference.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: