Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: After two months of treatment....success!  (Read 742 times)

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
After two months of treatment....success!
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:43:17 AM »
I feel so much better!

I have now been on Zoloft 100mg for a month (after a month at 50mg) and it works very well, now that some of the initial fuzzy-headedness is gone.

Two weeks ago i began .25 mg of Klonopin at night and prn, and that worked incredibly well for the physical symptoms and tension. The good part is that i sleep better and the next morning am not tense, although by the afternoon usually some of the tension returns. When i see my psychiatrist again i may ask to change the prescription to twice a day, once around noon and once still at night. Other than that, though, my quality of life has vastly improved.

Just thought i would share a success story-i'm glad i stuck with the zoloft through the first few weeks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline EdnaLegume

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: After two months of treatment....success!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
So happy to hear this!  Good on you for not giving up!  Posts like this keep me going as I struggle through the early days of citalopram. 

Happy for you that you're feeling so much better!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »
I know now why SSRI's can be so difficult to transition to, but i felt it was important to share the success i've had. Zoloft has worked well for me, and the Klonopin helps with the jittery feeling i get from the Zoloft , which messes with my sleep.

You are definately right that it seems like most stories are about the struggles, and not enough about the successes
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 03:24:06 PM »

'Great  news!   It's so nice to hear how other people are thriving because of antidepressant medication.  Glad you are doing better! It's also great to hear you're also on a daily benzodiazepine in addition to the Zoloft.  A daily benzo while transitioning to an antidepressant is an excellent step to emotional freedom, as the benzo  calms you down, while the medication stabilizes in your system..  I hope other Anxiety Zone members can read your story and follow your lead!
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
It is nice to hear positive stories.  It can be so hard to decide whether medication is the right choice for oneself, and to worry about the side effects, the risks versus benefits. definitely important to share the good news with our peers. I'm glad you're feeling better :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
bump.

This post by Gandalf the Grey is such an encouraging and inspiring testimonial on how to start on an antidepressant, such as the SSRI ( Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) Zoloft (Setraline), after learning one has Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD).   Likewise, Gandlaf benefited from the use of a daily benzodiazepine, Klonopin (Clonazepam), twice a day, without focusing on the addictive nature of a benzodiazepine, as he has been taking the Zoloft (Setraline).  When he decides to get off the Klonopin (Clonazepam) at a later time, he can work with his psychiatrist, while he is feeling good on the Zoloft (Setraline).

Maybe the owner of Anxiety Zone could so graciously post a list of testimonials on the Medication forum, like Gandalf's, for other antidepressants users to review?  Seeing how other posters, like Gandalf, have benefited from antidepressant medication can only inspire other antidepressant users to follow lead.  :P

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:09 AM »
It certainly was a bad start, much like what others have posted about their Zoloft experiences. But with time, it can work for many. To be honest, i didn't realize what 'normal' felt like; i always thought what i felt was my normal. But now all of my previous struggles make sense. It just seems like everyone focuses on the negative aspects of the start-up to Zoloft, but once they feel better (or not as anxious) they don't post as much since they aren't as worried.

I admit i was at first worried about the Klonopin, but it was actually my Psychiatrist who explained the benefits and how best to use it, instead of focusing on the fear of dependence. If my low-dose regimen works, why be afraid of it? Given that others have had negative reactions from their psych's when discussing benzos, i was shocked when he first mentioned them in a positive light, lol.

Being in the military for a decade (and another decade still), I've obviously dealt with many stresses. This treatment, along with my therapy, has raised my quality of life and for that i am grateful.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Wanttofeelbetter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »
I'm very happy for you.... In on week 5, I hope I have the same success as you! Thank you for serving in our Military
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »
what dose are you on? It took two weeks at 100 mg for the side effects to lessen and for the 'oh its working' moment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wanttofeelbetter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »
I'm on day 3 of 150mg. I started December 1 on a week of 25mg then a week of 50mg then 3 weeks at 100mg. Then like I said at Day 3 now if 150mg and I'm now noticing a difference! I just hope each day/week gets better. I believe it was you who said you thought your normal was normal, but now you really see what "normal" is like bring treated with Zoloft. How long did it take you for that this is working moment? How are you doing now?
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »
I too was surprised when my pdoc was fine with daily longterm klonopin! I found that klonopin and zoloft work very well together. I was able to taper off of zoloft after 2 yrs, and now just take .5mg klonopin once a day and am fine.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »
I too was surprised when my pdoc was fine with daily longterm klonopin! I found that klonopin and zoloft work very well together. I was able to taper off of zoloft after 2 yrs, and now just take .5mg klonopin once a day and am fine.

The problem is that your pdoc may leave, fall under the proverbial bus, etc, and the new one may be less willing to prescribe Klonopin. Might insist that your quit within weeks which could cause much misery.

Benzodiazepines are very effective anti anxiety meds with usually few side-effects, but using them as the primary daily med can be risky, unfortunately.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 05:16:37 PM »
I agree,Ian but if they know I've tried an ssri & it wasn't a good long term med for me(weight gain, raised blood sugar/cholesterol), then they r more willing to be ok with it, as I've discussed it with my gp. And also given the fact I've never raised my dose in 5 yrs and am very strict with it, only take once a day, no alcohol, etc. Another plus, the state I live in. Benzo use is pretty common here.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »
I agree,Ian but if they know I've tried an ssri & it wasn't a good long term med for me(weight gain, raised blood sugar/cholesterol), then they r more willing to be ok with it, as I've discussed it with my gp. And also given the fact I've never raised my dose in 5 yrs and am very strict with it, only take once a day, no alcohol, etc. Another plus, the state I live in. Benzo use is pretty common here.

Cool. You seem to be luckier with this than is generally the case. For some reason the dependency issue has been gaining more traction in recent years. IMHO, it is no more a concern than with antidepressants, some of newer ones can be at least as difficult to wean off, but my opinions don't carry much weight...go figure!  :traurig001:

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
I wish drs would judge benzo appropriateness on each pts use & not generalize. If u can take a benzo & it works-u don't keep increasing the dose, then why be forced to taper?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: