Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Winter Break anxiety  (Read 145 times)

Offline Cbteach

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Winter Break anxiety
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:32:06 PM »
I'm a teacher, which means frequent time off. Most people have reason to celebrate this and tell me how lucky I am. But for me, the time off is a bit of a curse. It's during these breaks that my anxiety (100% health related anxiety is at its worst.

I know that if I can plan ahead of time, schedule lots of activities and have something to focus on, the anxiety is less. So, for this winter break, I begged and pleaded with my husband to let us get a dog. Having a rescue dog to work with would be a perfect project. And besides, dogs are supposed to reduce anxiety. But our adorable rescue dog apparently has giardia and roundworm--both something humans can pick up. She's between treatments right now, but I'm convinced that my son or I will get the roundworms. Despite the fact that we are very conscientious about our handwashing. And as she likes to go out and, well, sample what she has already deposited, I can't help thinking she is just going to reinfect herself and us with it. So this dog, who I got to keep me calm and focused has me worried on a grand scale...so much that I have stomach upset probably from all that worry. I've made an appt with my doctor just to be sure. I know this seems like a silly thing to worry about, and her vet reassures me that the chances of us getting it are slim. But I've looked up what roundworms do with humans (I know, I should never have Googled it) and some of it is pretty scary.
Now my husband is mad because I was the one who wanted the dog, and now I am too freaked out to be around her and take care of her. Help? I could use some positive and rational thoughts right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JenMarie279

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Winter Break anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:05:58 AM »
I have had two dogs for years and they have had occasional issues.  The vet has always reassured me and in all of the years that we've had them, none of us have had any sort of dog-related illnesses, so I am sure you're fine.  Enjoy your new dog!

I can relate to your heightened anxiety when you don't have much to do.  I'm a stay at home mom now and my HA has been insane.  I have WAY too much time to think and google.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: hypochondria