Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Do i have an issue with alcohol?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do i have an issue with alcohol?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 09:59:14 PM »
Checking back to see how you did on Sunday, GenSec - nice job!  Congrats to you!

Tina - I am just like you.  If I need to stop eating at night, I brush my teeth for the exact same reason - too lazy to do it all over again!  Plus food tastes yucky with the lingering taste of toothpaste & mouthwash!
Bookmark and Share
"If I could tell the world just one thing, it would be we're all ok.  And not to worry cause worry is wasteful and useless in times like these...." - "Hands" - Jewel

Online GenSec

• Rec's: 54
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 09:41:05 AM »
Oh, he gets plenty credit and if I forget, he is sure to remind me.

Oh Tina, can't you just feel the love, hm!? :laugh3:

Big congrats to you. Lots of gold stars. Fabulous will power. Now I will try the same today and avoid those dark clusters. Let's see how that goes. I'll imagine you glaring at me should my hand stray into the choc. jar, ha ha.

Ah, if you're thin enough then why not partake of a nice dark chocolate treat? :happy0062: Go on, go on! :laugh3:

Checking back to see how you did on Sunday, GenSec - nice job!  Congrats to you!

Tina - I am just like you.  If I need to stop eating at night, I brush my teeth for the exact same reason - too lazy to do it all over again!  Plus food tastes yucky with the lingering taste of toothpaste & mouthwash!

Kind thanks! :wavey:

On monday i had a really bad day for multiple reasons, so i ended up treating myself to one drink in the evening. Just one, as i said i would. Then yesterday i had to meet with my friend, as he's planning to get married and has asked me to be his best man. He guzzles through the drinks twice as fast as me. :o When he appeared he looked exasperated and said "Thank God. I've been dying for one of these." I can struggle to keep up with him. Its going to be a Scottish wedding and out of over 100 guests, i'm going to be the only man present who won't be wearing a kilt. I'll be the only man in trousers! Some people aren't liking the sounds of that! ::) Thankfully my friend doesn't care. He understands my feeling that a Scottish kilt wouldn't suit my body shape. I don't want to be immortalised in photographs looking stupid.

To make up for last evening i think i'll make today a dry day.

I regularly eat at night... sometimes as late as 3am! I've never seen the point of brushing my teeth at night when all i'm doing is going to sleep, then brushing them again in the morning, so... i never brush my teeth at night! :bigsmile: Never have! :angel-smiley-006:

Regards,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »
You must floss and brush vigorously every evening. Invest in a Soni-care toothbrush. Then you know, no more eating or drinking (except decaf tea or water) followed by plenty of soothing sleeping and dreaming. Oh, we'll get you so healthy. And, yes, if you fall off the wagon, just pick yourself up and try again.

No chocolate for me. Don't want that rectangular look. Want to maintain the curvy look. Do lots of torso rolls. So far, not bad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 08:00:20 AM »
True Confessions. Crashed yesterday. Thankfully only with a Mounds bar. Was brainwashed to think coconut is good for you. Rubbish.

Am starting clean today. Only dessert allowed will be a newly discovered frozen yogurt bar. See what that will do to the waistline.
Bookmark and Share

Online GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 09:19:57 AM »
True Confessions. Crashed yesterday. Thankfully only with a Mounds bar. Was brainwashed to think coconut is good for you. Rubbish.

Tina Tina Tina, i'm shocked and appalled! :angry-smiley-034: :sprachlos020:  But nevermind - we forgive you! :laugh3: :winking0008: After all i cannot condemn you... i ate 2 or 3 pieces of chocolate yesterday. :angel-smiley-006: As expected, my fondness for chocolate has gone up.

Coconut is good for you, isn't it? Well, i've stuck to my 1 drink policy. :happy0062: Actually i feel slightly better when i wake up in the morning, even though i tend to suffer a bit more broken sleep.

Regards,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
Of course you feel better waking up, going to sleep, walking around, dreaming dreamy dreams, if slightly interrupted. That will correct itself.

Resisted the temptation yesterday and hope to do the same today. Discovered a nice substitute, frozen, fruity yogurt bars. Too bad there is no dark chocolate coating. That might be allowed.

This is the way to kick any addiction. Support. Lots of support.
Bookmark and Share

Online GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »
Of course you feel better waking up, going to sleep, walking around, dreaming dreamy dreams, if slightly interrupted. That will correct itself.

Resisted the temptation yesterday and hope to do the same today. Discovered a nice substitute, frozen, fruity yogurt bars. Too bad there is no dark chocolate coating. That might be allowed.

This is the way to kick any addiction. Support. Lots of support.

Recently my sleep has been terribly broken, brief. I'm so tired it shows in my eyes during the day! :yawn:

Yet, i'm sticking to the 1 drink policy. :happy0062: In fact sometimes i've having a beer or cider rather than a spirit such as rum, which i suppose also cuts down on the alcohol content of what i'm drinking. Again, i stick to just one. Alcohol is not the answer to my sleeping woes. I've accepted that i must find a better way. Some nights i'm fine whilst on others i'm depressed... i just deal with each evening as it comes. Sometimes i'm able to lift myself out of my slump, other times not.

I wouldn't say the matter at hand here is "addiction", Tina dear... is this the moment where i copy Sharon on Charlie's show and squirm to suggest a more fitting word? :laugh3: Haha.

Regards,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 08:35:03 AM »
Is one drink an addiction? I'm no expert, but am inclined to say, yes. For example, I aim for days with no chocolate. Achieve them too. The other is easy, no breath, it's over. Done.

Now sleep is really, really important. Governed by the brain (what isn't, good grief). Activity and exercise during the day are necessary. Then that moment in the evening when all cares are thrown out the window and you drift into unconsciousness, is a treasure not to be missed. A treasure waiting for you every evening.
Bookmark and Share

Online GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »
I regard addiction more along the lines of inability to control or limit ones use of something to healthy levels. If i were planning to have 1 drink in the evening yet couldn't stop myself once i'd started, then i'd consider myself to have an addiction. :happy0062: What i think my drinking may imply is a use of alcohol to deal with my anxiety/depression; and i myself admit that isn't a healthy relationship to have with alcohol. That can lead down the road of addiction if not careful.

Sleep would be a fine thing but i don't get very much of it, haha. :mad0228: :laugh3: Trying to sleep can be anxiety inducing for me.

Well, a progress report. I've been sticking to the plan of 1 drink an evening (2 on friday evenings) and nothing at all on sundays. This sunday i drank nothing and now i want to build on that by drinking nothing for the next 3 days. :sprachlos020: Yes, a 3 day dry marathon! :laugh3:

There was a bottle of whisky i recieved as a gift a few months back, and rather than start drinking it i've decided to give it to a good friend. Its not my favourite whisky but its not bad; usually i would drink it anyway. However i have too much whiskies of various sorts and i think its time to cut down on them. I don't need to drink them all. Actually i'm thinking of giving up on whisky altogether.

Regards,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »
This is very exciting. A big change for the New Year. Excellent. Guess I'll give up chocolate unless it is a chocolate covered fruit bar. That's allowed. Nutritious. Cheering for the 3 day marathon.

Good sleep will follow as sleep center in the brain awakens to new developments, all refreshed. Yes, the brain can be a miracle.
Bookmark and Share

Online GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 01:00:38 PM »
Guess I'll give up chocolate unless it is a chocolate covered fruit bar. That's allowed. Nutritious.

No no no, no wriggling out of this one please! :angry-smiley-034: :laugh3: Chocolate is chocolate! Aren't there fruity alternatives out there you could partake of that don't contain chocolate? I'm sure there are!

Nice try though, haha. :P

Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:07:11 AM »
From choc. covered fruit bar you disparaged I crashed to Mounds, to choc. covered walnuts, to choc. nut clusters. Such guilt. Confessing helps.

Start anew today with extra sit-ups.
Bookmark and Share

Online GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
From choc. covered fruit bar you disparaged I crashed to Mounds, to choc. covered walnuts, to choc. nut clusters. Such guilt. Confessing helps.

Start anew today with extra sit-ups.

Aw no worries Tina, i was only joking around with ya.  :sad0126:

And as you're brave enough to lead the way when it comes to honest confessions, its only fair that i follow your lead. I didn't manage 3 days without a drink: i managed 2. On the 3rd day i slipped up. I was very depressed that day, hardly able to get out of bed and had been teary at one point. That evening i succumbed. As honesty is what this is all about or nothing at all, there we have it. I'll put it all out there.

I'm disappointed. However as Meatloaf says, 2 outta 3 ain't bad, lol.  :angel-smiley-006: :laugh3:

Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
Not bad at all. I've sort of lost count of the failures. Good Grief.

Simply draw a line under the mess and start up again. Dieters could join in. We're lenient and understanding and encouraging all at the same time. Am dreaming of chocolate covered donettes. Just little ones. But not today, for sure. Cheers.
Bookmark and Share

Online GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
Speaking of dieters, cutting down on my alcohol intake during the evenings has led to the thing i feared... weight gain. I eat more snacks now that i don't drink. My weight has crept up by 9 lbs in a relatively short time. I've gone from mildy overweight to just plain overweight! :(

My sister joked that i should just proudly pile on the pounds and become another 'Bulldozer' like a certain Mr Sharon, heh. :laugh:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: