Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: New member - panic attacks and possible agorophobia?  (Read 245 times)

Offline Summer04

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New member - panic attacks and possible agorophobia?
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:04:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been dealing with anxiety since I was in middle school.  I've been taking Paxil since late 2000.  I'm currently on the generic, Paroxetine, at 20 mg.  I have a good life - going to marry my fiance this spring, have a great family, I live in a safe, small town.  However, I'm always nervous whenever I'm in a big, open space.  Even crossing the street makes me nervous.  I'm not worried about being hit by a car or anything like that, it's just being in the open space.  Even taking walks around the neighborhood makes me have anxiety. 

I went to a large city in my area a few weeks back with some friends and we had to wait at a red light before crossing a major intersection.  I could feel the anxiety rise, grabbed my fiance's hand, and was sweaty and nervous.  I'm tired of living my life like this.  I had been seeing a wonderful therapist for a few years and she really did help me; however she moved her practice to another part of the state and I haven't seen her in a long time.

I just wanted to share my story and see if anyone else out here deals with the same thing.  It's frustrating.  I'm tired of being scared and anxious.  After I began taking the Paxil I had a few years where I would drive on the highway, albeit a short distance, and wasn't feeling as anxious as I am now.

Thanks for reading.   :happy0151: :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New member - panic attacks and possible agorophobia?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:27:10 PM »
There is, sadly, only one way to treat agoraphobia - and all anxiety disorders for that matter. You have to go and do that which causes you so much anxiety. Every time you fail to do so, that validates your fear. The short reason is, part of your brain works to keep you alive, no matter what. But it can't observe the world. It responds to your feelings of fear, and it will not take chances. So when you give in to the fear, this part of your brain thinks you really are in danger, and responds in a way to prepare you for that danger.

Since that part of your brain only can interpret the world based on your active reactions, you absolutely must not give in to fear impulses. This is easier said than done, obviously. But its the only way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Summer04

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New member - panic attacks and possible agorophobia?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »
Lunatone, you're right.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I get mad at myself when I let something defeat me.  I don't want to live a life with limitations.  My fiance and I have talked about going for walks when the weather is nicer - not snowy and freezing like it is now, lol.  I'll make sure I keep in mind that crossing the street isn't bad at all!

Thanks for replying.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: