Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Could I have PTSD?  (Read 484 times)

Offline Bcollinsix

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Could I have PTSD?
« on: January 02, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »
So I was talking to my sister the other day and she mentioned to me, is it possible that I may have PTSD? So I started to think. Anyway here's my story:

For 2 and a half years I was struggling with psychosis but never knew until last march when I was diagnosed (it got so bad that I thought I was going to die and be sent to hell for selling my soul to the devil and I was CONVINCED - that's psychosis) and since then what I thought was going to be a speedy recovery turned out to be a whirlwind of anxiety and depression.  I'm 20 and this started when I was 17. Ever since march I haven't been able to go to school or really hang out with my friends like before when I wasn't psychotic. So what's changed besides this life impacting event? Any response would be greatly appreciated, thanks. I'm also taking Medicine for my depression and anxiety, which also helps with PTSD so I have read.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Could I have PTSD?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 05:56:57 AM »
Psychosis would be what you have. PTSD is like when something bad happens to you years ago. But instead of getting it treated you simply get on with life and ignore it. Forward a good few years. Something else may happen in your life. It triggers off the memories of this bad event that happened a few years back. The one you never got treated for. You end up anxious and it can be hard to deal with at first because they don't really know the cause. Until they do a bit of talking with you and then it might come out about years earlier. That would be typical PTSD. I get your point. That you were suffering with it untreated for a number of years. But you did never get better. That is my point. You fell into a pit of anxiety and depression. A lot of PTSD people do get better for a number of years. Have no issues at all. Then suddenly it is like their world comes crashing down upon them. If anything your PTSD may be mild. But you still have the psychosis have you not? Or is that gone?
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Bcollinsix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:21:23 PM »
Thanks for replying cuchculan. I understand what you're saying. But lately I've been having dreams about my past anxiety and past experiences when I was psychotic that triggers my anxiety now. It's weird. And no I'm no longer psychotic and I haven't been for about 8 months.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 01:44:50 PM »
PTSD can turn into any form of anxiety. Once bad memories are the trigger for anxiety then it might be the case that that is what you have. There is a form of therapy called EMDR that is used in severe cases of PTSD. But I would suggest a therapist. It would be the right first step. To explore your thoughts. Help you move forward.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Bcollinsix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 06:46:08 PM »
Ok thanks cuchculan. Greatly appreciate it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eve

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
honey PTSD is  a diverse set of issues, and it's different in every individual with PTSD, and it's a normal reaction of your psyche to abnormally terrifying circumstances you endure, it is found in people who suffered prolonged abuse of any sort and in people who have gone to war and were forced to kill or watch people kill and die...

psychoses can be induced by a lot of things but not by PTSD....

so unless you were faced with some sort of terrifying bizarre violence, you probably do not have PTSD...why you were psychotic, well that can be from a lot of things, from easily fixed stuff to serious mental illness...why don't you see a good professional...

Bookmark and Share

Offline Survivor8484

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »
I think you may identify with the descriptions of schitzophrenia. Or so I suspect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kellymarie90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:27:56 AM »
PTSD has unmistakable symptoms: hallucinations, nightmares, panic, flashbacks etc. All of these relate to a specific issue though. Psychosis can focus on many different things that you may or may not have experienced. Although you may experience hallucinations or nightmares, you more than likely won't experience flashbacks or panic like someone with PTSD would
Bookmark and Share