Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Nausea from Anxiety?  (Read 553 times)

Offline forsquares

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Nausea from Anxiety?
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »
Hi, I just found this forum accidentally about 10 minutes ago, so I'm new here.

I'm 20 years old and have had social anxiety for the majority of my life. However, recently I've started experiencing nausea and an inability to eat as a result when anxious.

Basically, for the past year I've been interested in a guy (I've never been in a relationship because of social anxiety problems, but I've had crushes before), so over the summer I went to a therapist to try to sort out of my social anxiety problems because I wanted to be able to have a relationship eventually (whether or not this specific guy liked me back). I'm in classes with this guy so we hung out at school and we were friends and I really liked him; part of why I really liked him was I never felt anxious around him! However, over the summer I never saw him (we just texted occasionally).

After the summer when I came back to school, I had somehow managed to over think everything to such an extent that I felt physically ill with nerves when hanging around him. I HATE this because I love hanging out with him, he makes me really happy, but also really sick, which is just super awkward! He knows I have anxiety but I feel pathetic having to turn down food whenever I'm around him because I feel sick...

The therapist I went to I didn't talk about these issues with because I didn't have them until after I had stopped seeing her. Her main solution to anxiety was just exposure - which in a lot of cases works, but so far not here... Sometimes I feel fine around him but those occasions are rare.

Whether or not he likes me back this is an incredibly annoying situation - I went to a party a bit ago and could hardly enjoy myself because I just felt sick the whole time while he was there. I'm not consciously intimidated by him or anything, and I know I have legitimately nothing to be afraid of, so I have no idea what's going on. I always feel fine after and can eat, but it's gotten to a point where I'm starting to get anxious about whether or not I'm eating enough in a day.

I'm thinking of going to a doctor after the Holidays are over to see if I can get any meds or something, but I mostly just wanted to see if anyone had similar problems...

Thanks in advance for any advice/input!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Deeb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nausea from Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »
Hi,

I know what you're going through from my own experience. And yes, nausea can be a symptom of anxiety.  The good thing is that it's not constant - it only comes when you're around the guy, so super stressed out/panicking. You should definitely see a therapist regularly and work on this. Try relaxation techniques, but also talking through different situations that happened to you, trying to figure out what exactly it is (in your head - what type of thoughts) that stresses you out so much and how you can stop it (ie control your negative thoughts). My therapist tried exposure with me too at first, but it did not work at all. It took me a few months of therapy to just start to be able to calm myself down during those panic attacks, and to limit the nausea. Also, if your symptoms become physical it means that things are getting serious (in the bad way) so do talk to your therapist about it, and explore different avenues to find the one that will help.
Btw - are you on any medication for your anxiety?

D.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forsquares

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:52:46 PM »
Thanks for the input! I'm currently not seeing a therapist - I want to find one outside of my university (because the therapists here are extremely backed up (it's a busy school) and most are grad students, rather than professionals...) but I don't really know how to pick a good one yet.. looking into it.

I went to the doctor 2 days ago and was prescribed Clonazepam and an anti-nausea drug. I haven't tried the Clonazepam yet because the pharmacist recommended I test it out when I'm not doing anything (like before bed) just to test out any side-effects before going into a social situation. The anti-nausea medication has seemed to work, but I still feel like gagging when I was nervous about my anxiety in general (the medication was to limit the production of stomach acid or something, so I guess it doesn't really effect my gag reflex). 

The doctor recommended I just take the Clonazepam if I expect to feel anxious, rather than regularly... I'll do the trial run the pharmacist recommended first though and proceed from there.

Thanks again though... I don't like the sound of this meaning I'm getting progressively worse, but I guess I can't really argue that ack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marpizza

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Binding Infinity in a Nutshell
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:34:48 AM »
Hello!

I feel sick when I get anxious to the point where I don't eat. I don't get a gag reflex but the thought of food makes me sick and I have no appetite. I've gone days without eating or eating very little, I do drink plenty of water though. It's normal to have physical symptoms from anxiety. I think one of the best ways to feel better is to attack the problem at the source, which for your is your social anxiety. Once you start to take control of that, the rest will be easy and you will start to feel better around the guy you like. Medication can help as well so do as your pharmacist says and test it out. It's good you're taking care of this now so it doesn't get worse. I'm sure it wont :)
Bookmark and Share
"It feels like I'm raining and three apples are my stomach"