Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Lack of sleep making my anxiety come back!  (Read 189 times)

Offline LouiseThomy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lack of sleep making my anxiety come back!
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:08:53 PM »
I'm 18 and have had GAD for 4 years now,
For the past 2-3 weeks I've been getting 4 hour sleep and I try to sleep earlier but I feel out of breath, it's like my anxiety won't let me sleep!!
I feel like I have no energy, my breathing feels slow and light like it's going to stop any minute, I feel tired and dizzy.
I could cry for how bad it's making me feel!  :(

Anybody else had this before? Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline LostKeys

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lack of sleep making my anxiety come back!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »
the time i do have anxiety with my meds it will do it to me aswell..i have not yet figured it out how to fall asleep!!! i know what you are going through sometimes though if i do have my meds and ido i take a warm bath and drink some hot tea with milk and honey in it helps a little maybe give it a try.
hope you get some sleep soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lack of sleep making my anxiety come back!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:28:42 AM »
Hey LT,

I'm very sorry to hear about your sleep struggles; having dealt with years of insomnia in the past, I can appreciate how immensely frustrating it is when you can't get fall asleep multiple nights in a row despite feeling exhausted.

Of the many things keeping me awake over the years, breathing certainly made the list: I would think/worry about my breathing while trying to sleep, which would make me nervous, which would make my breathing quicker and shallower, which would make me worry more, etc. (Really, this is what anxiety is at its core, fear triggering a nervous response, triggering more fear.)

Have you tried any guided breathing meditations? Those helped me both with the "worrying about breathing" and with calming my racing thoughts in general. I still use them when I'm feeling very stressed or anxious around bed time. If you're interested, you can download the one I use here: https://www.mediafire.com/?a3s8at9ld7j809w.

That kind of breath awareness can feel a little weird if you're not used to it, so I'd recommend first trying it during some time of the day when you're most calm. (Oh, and beware the loud sneeze at 9:53... not sure how that made the final cut. I swear the rest of it is great.)

Hope that helps a little!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: