Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 975 times)

Offline mhmommy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Radiation
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 09:58:52 PM »
i wish i felt good and didn't know :) i was feeling bad before i knew tho..
i do need to stay off google thx for reminding me i need all the reminders i can get.
take care, kristine
Bookmark and Share

Offline tymommy

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 12:57:34 AM »
Itsucks so bad what's been done to us. We're already scared of health crap and now we're probably gonna be scared to death for many years to come.i hate feeling like im on a cancer sentence.  Anxiety stinks. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 06:40:22 AM »
Yeah Ty I would've never thought dr would
order something major increase my risk when
I said I'm afraid of cancer :(
it does suck & I'm always afraid now.'
it's changed my whole family's life:(
I have to learn how to manage so I don't lose them
Bookmark and Share

Offline hijikata

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »
I still don't understand where you are getting your atomic bomb figures from, I have a masters in History majoring in Japan and you do not have an atomic bomb level of radiation and don't really seem to understand what that even implies. Yes you have received radiation similar to that of people living a fair amount away form the epicentre of the blast in hiroshima, who like I told you showed a 1.8% increase in cancer rates (or otherwise put 98.2% chance of not getting cancer from the dose) and that is a dose under 50msv, received all at once, full body, 60 years ago when health standards were not what they are today. Atomic bomb level radiation where most incidence of cancers, which was still a relatively small amount, was over 100msv and is the reason the linear extrapolation theory exists, which like I said before is pseudoscience and not fact. Furthermore, atomic bomb level of radiation is the level where people got radiation poisoning and died soon after the blast, or were completely erased in an instant. You seem to have completely disregarded the facts I have shown you and chosen to pick out the bad in everything, which even for hypochondrias is a little excessive. Miners and workers in the nuclear industry receive more than you have A YEAR and their isn't a huge increase in their cancer rates. I know, it seems harsh, and I get it because obviously I have had the same fear before which is why you contacted me, but you need to try and look at it rationally and actually ingest the facts and not only look at the worse case scenario, which is also the most likely.

Again, I don't mean to seem rude because I have been where you have been, but you don't really seem to grasp radiation all that well and when there is no evidence the amount you have received will give you cancer, when compared to things like smoking and drinking and eating cured meats which has clear evidence but people do them anyway, there really is nothing to fear as long as you minimize your exposure in the future
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 07:18:54 AM »
I totally agree with hijikata.

Doctors use ct as a calculated risk. They know it contains radiation, but they also know how much radiation it is safe to give to patients

I think you'll find that most people have had a ct or a number of X-ray over their lives. Footballers etc who get concussions a lot would have been exposed to a lot of radiation from ct over their career. 

I am having trouble understanding what you're trying to say in some of your replies. So I'm not entirely sure why you're so convinced you've been exposed to such excessive amounts that you're practically irradiated?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 04:27:16 PM »
I'm looking for support first thing.
I tear up most times I look ***** my lil girl
and think of what I've done to myself.
The univ of colorado hospital pulmonologist
I switched to said yeah could happen future
that's why he recommends low dose spread out
and the other dr just didn't do that.
she went 4 big guns unnecessarily cost me 25 msv
I've talked since and read best of the best read dr Rebecca smith
Bindman conversed through email and phone
with dr sylvain Costes David brenner and dr Gatti
From ucla is doing genetic testing for me for free
because I must be a good study and he agrees.
so mistakes were made could cost me my life
and I'm scared mostly for my kids. It was preventable.
makes sense to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »
I feel completely dense and feel like I'm missing something?

I just looked up a normal ct dose and it says its between 10-30 msv and the evacuees from the Fukushima power station was around 68 msv?

So it sounds like 25 is about the normal amount for a ct??

I don't mean to sound heartless. I'm just trying to understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »
you're right.

i didn't know that before going in.

so i am even more scared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 06:45:23 PM »
actually the reports say that there were plenty of people exposed to 5msv and up who got cancer later...
guess thats what im hung up on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »
So is the problem that you didn't know there was radiation in CT scans?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 07:28:57 PM »
Btw it's easy for them to say that anyone who was exposed to 5msv and up for cancer because of the scan but they have no way of knowing that was the cause.

As Hijikata said lifestyle choices play a huge role in health. If they were overweight smokers I'm sure that played a larger role in their health than a scan.

If ct were that dangerous. Doctors wouldn't be allowed to use them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »
yes sounds stupid now but yes i had no idea..
ive never had a surgery or anything prior to june and now ive had 3 major ct studies.. with more low dose follow up
in future and hope i don't get lc or something else. drs treat it very casually and no, i had no idea.
no one talks about it. at least not in my experience.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »
The reason doctors treat it casually is because they know any increase in risk is absolutely minuscule. :)

I had a ct done on my sinuses before and I've had quite a few X-rays. Just about everyone I know has had the same. A ct on a concussion or a few done for a problem with their hand etc etc.

Ct are really common diagnostic tools that help doctors to see what's going on inside with minimal risk and while being noninvasive.

There really isn't anything to worry about :)

It's an insurance thing. If it was ever proven that a ct could really give someone cancer they wouldn't be allowed to use them and would use seething different instead.

Doctors are there to help us. And using a tool that would make someone sick is essentially just creating more work for them in the long run (which no one would ever voluntarily do).

Before any diagnostic tool Etc is brought out for widespread use they have to go through a LOT of tests to check for side effects etc. Even medicine, pills, injections etc have to go through trials tests and screening program's. so imagine how thorough they would be with a tool that all doctors and hospitals have access to and have been using for years already.

If it was proven that anything like a ct could cause someone To get sick. Imagine all the claims people would be making. The whole WORLD would provably go bankrupt from the fallout. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »
My dr at UCh after the fact it was already done
said yeah years down the road yes the ct can cause
cancer.. and X-ray risk brought my risk from 100000
to 6,000 something to 290 with all the ct I've had now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hijikata

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
Your doctor didn't tell you that that stupid xrayrisk.com told you that because no doctor would use or know such precise odds. And I have no idea what ridiculous report you are reading because people in certain locations receive more than 5msv a year just through background radiation. I don't mean to sound rude, but I know what I am talking about quite more so than you when it comes to the bombing of hiroshima and nagasaki and at such low doses to people living the furthest away from the blast, I.E those who received between 5-50msv, only 1.8% more cancers occurred. Please stop refuting actual fact for hysteria and pseudoscience otherwise what is the point of posting on here if you're going to completely shoot down what everyone tells you, some of whom are much more knowledgeable in the field. Yes it probably isn't the best thing that you received that much radiation, will it likely cause cancer later on.... no. If you continued to get scans and got up to that critical 100msv then yes it may have, as that is where the majority of the excess cancers were recorded in the follow up studies.

The real skinny of it is, and there are many studies to back it up. Hiroshima and nagasaki showed that a population exposed to around 100msv will have a 1% increased cancer rate in total.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22353659
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/C/CancerRisk.html
http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~dinov/courses_students.dir/data.dir/AtomicBombSurvivorsData.htm

If you read any of these you will see how low the chances of excess cancer are when you are subjected to such a minute amount. I really hope you will actually read those and put it in perspective and stop refuting facts through fear cause you read something that you didn't like, but was probably false.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: