Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What exactly is sciatica? WEIRD doc appointment ...  (Read 245 times)

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What exactly is sciatica? WEIRD doc appointment ...
« on: January 01, 2014, 05:43:12 AM »
The pain in my leg I have had for weeks now reached the point where I went to see a doctor (not my normal doctor who had no appointments left) yesterday as I have to go back to my desk job tomorrow and wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any damage to anything - it really hurts!

She was an older doctor- VERY no nonsense and didn't really have time for me so I didn't feel comfortable asking too many questions.

The whole appointment went for about 5 minutes and while I DO think she is probably a very good doctor. Her bedside manner wasnt great :p

So... I went in and told her my leg hurts. She didn't even do any examination. Just asked where the pain was and she said (as though I should somehow have known without medical training) it's sciatica - it's from your back. The nerve that runs down the outside of your leg.

She gave me a few exercises and told me to keep doing everything as the damage has already been done and it will probably take another few weeks to get any better.

I told her briefly about the tingles I got last year (the ones that terrified me... The ones that started this whole AWFUL cycle of MS fear) and do you know what she said?

'Its the same thing. One leg gets tingles for you, the other pain.'

And that was the whole appointment.

Could she really be right? Could those terrifying tingles have been sciatica? I didn't have a chance to tell her how bad they were. Or that they were in my foot, part of my face, and upper arm.

I'm almost afraid to allow myself to get my hopes up. And I've been stewing over what she told me all day wondering if its really that simple.

And if it IS why none of the other doctors suggested it.

She was blunt, borderline rude and actually laughed in my face at one point. But for some reason I still think she is probably a good doctor. She was just so CERTAIN without any examination what the problem was.

Do I allow myself to believe her?? Am I able to do that?

What do you all think?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: What exactly is sciatica? WEIRD doc appointment ...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:02:54 AM »
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in your body. It runs from your spinal cord to your buttock and hip area and down the back of each leg. The term "sciatica" refers to pain that radiates along the path of this nerve from your back down your buttock and leg.

Sciatica isn't a disorder in and of itself. Instead, sciatica is a symptom of another problem involving the nerve, such as a herniated disk. Depending on the cause, the pain of acute sciatica which you may find considerably uncomfortable usually goes away on its own in four to eight weeks or so.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 07:47:40 AM »
HI there and Happy New Year.

I know this is hard but yes this could very well be the problem. I have suffered back problems for over 25 years from a ski accident. I am actually sitting here now with my hands shaking and pain in my legs and lower back. Since you have tingling and pain let me assure you I have had these symptoms and it travels all over since discs and nerves are located within the spine. Do the exercises the doctor gave you and if you can afford it see a neurologist I did this and was sent to rehab and pain management also a good chiropractor can also benefit you. Good Luck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:54:26 AM »
I had sciatica whilst I was pregnant it's basically a trapped nerve baby was pressing on this nerve and I had horrendous sciatic pain for 2/3 months till baby had moved. I was given exercises to to bring leg up to chest in a circular motion and hold it. You can get it just normally too and usually just will one day wake up and it's gone! How I would describe it is a cramp which starts at the top of the leg and radiates down I could hardly walk. Try the exercises and get a massage u will be fine
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Does anyone know if sciatica can cause severe tingling all the way down to a persons foot?

I'm staying away from google even though this is fairly benign because I know it only takes one website hinting at a more serious cause and of course ill assume that's what's causing it. :p

If it CAN cause those severe tingling sensations though... I wonder why neither of the doctors mentioned sciatica as a potential cause...?

2013 was a year of BIG MS fears for me because of that tingling. Could it really be so simple?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 05:32:22 PM »
Of course I've had it it starts in the thigh and radiates down to your toes leaving a tingly sensation you describe. It is a horrible and weird experience but usually it relieves itself after so long. I would trust the doctor... I can answer why the others didn't pick up on it maybe they were looking for a bigger picture. I seriously would try not to worry like I say I've had it and everything u have describes points so sciatica
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:13:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Even though I'm hobblin around like an old woman and feel like the muscles in my sore leg are about 5cm shorter than the ones in my other leg I think this light be the best thing to happen to me in a while just because I was able to get a 'kind of' diagnosis (even just a potential explanation) for the terrifying tingles last year.

Understanding that there is a potential for it to have been this rather than MS is a relief.

It felt like walking on a pincushion for a few weeks and no one could really explain what it was. Id taken up jogging and has completely over done it.

I got tingles in my upper arm and a little bit of my face at the same time. But now I'm hoping all that stupid jogging I was doing just inflamed my nerves and caused all of it; rather than being a sign of something else.

The fact my leg is tingling off and on (though not as badly as last year) while I know my back is inflamed might be helping too. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
Sciatica is a frustrating affliction.  I've experienced it on and off for years.  It usually would begin for me after a weekend of yard work with lots of bending and lifting, but would go away within 10 days to 2 weeks.  However, my most recent episode began Labor Day and hung around until mid December, or about 12 weeks.  During that 12 week period I had my annual physical and was told by the doctor to return for instruction on core exercises once the pain eased. 
At age 61 I expect some aches and pains, but sciatic pain can be excruciating and over-the-counter pain remedies hardly touch it.  And yes, when the nerve is badly inflamed the tingling can go all the way down to the toes and sole of the foot. 
As with most ailments, I've found that stress can aggravate the condition.  Once my stress eased in mid-December, so did the sciatica.  When stress recurred recently, so did the sciatica.  Never underestimate the ability of the brain to mess with you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: