Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Insomnia over health anxiety - does this ever happen to you?  (Read 202 times)

Offline JCWest

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Insomnia over health anxiety - does this ever happen to you?
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
Hey guys,

So this week has been rough - I slept maybe an hour the night before last, and maybe 3 hours last night, all from stressing over my health anxiety. I've gone through this enough times now to recognize when my anxiety is causing insomnia, but it's still terrifying and debilitating - I worry it's just going to get worse and worse or never go away. I made the mistake of checking out the sleep section of this forum, and was pretty terrified from all the posts over there...

Anyway, I'm hoping some of you can offer some words of wisdom, maybe some advice or just words of support to remind me that this will pass, I could sure use it...  B-; :yawn:

Thanks
JC
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brody108

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Insomnia over health anxiety - does this ever happen to you?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:36 PM »
I'm going through the same this week. Can barely sleep which doesn't help with anxiousness during the day. Heck, I had to motivate myself today just to get through work. This is panic week for me. Guess my body decided to have a good melt down before the year ended.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

• Cowardly neurotic anxious stressed out depressed human being.
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:49:46 AM »
This happened to me before! Associated with my Health Anxiety, no matter how hard i try i just really can't fall asleep together i am worried about my HA and not to mention i have school in the morning and i can't sleep! My advice is before going to bed take a warm bath, drink a warm milk and try to ease your mind. and please try not to sleep thinking about your Anxiety cause sometimes it ends up having a nightmare or sometimes night sweats! Try to calm down and think positive that this is just a Health Anxiety and i am a Hypochondriac and i really don't have the said disease.

Happy New Year and best of lucks for us!

Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it" - Paramore (from the song "Now")
Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries" - Timon & Pumba (Disney's Lion King)
“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline JCWest

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
Well here I am day 3 with little to no sleep :( brutal

It started as pure health anxiety, I was up all night worried about my eyes, constantly checking them, crazy anxious

Next night I'm worried about not sleeping, so I barely sleep

Then last night, same thing

Ugh :(

I'm thinking it might be time to go on medication again :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »
Yes I wake up a few times a night.
Is effecting everyone in my house :(
kids, dh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline memphisGuy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
You are not alone, I am currently also having fits with insomnia due to my H.A. What also sucks is that I work a 4:30 a.m shift for a retail store. Hopefully we can all get over this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCWest

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
I'm glad to know I'm not alone here, thanks guys, though I wish you weren't going through it either.

It is strange for me this time, normally I have really high anxiety at night and get little sleep-starts or jolts. This time my mind is relatively clear, but I'll get a pounding heart-beat and chest tightness as I start to doze off, which keeps me awake. Feel like I'm crazy  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tweenie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
I suffered with this as well. When you are in bed and the house is quiet, that's when the mind really starts to race and ruminate.

I learned something from a tibetan meditation class a couple of years ago and it has really helped me. It sounds a little strange but it worked quite well for me.

It's a breathing exercise: Start by imagining you are breathing in through your left nostril and out through your right one. Of course, you aren't actually doing it but you CAN imagine it. Do that 7 times. Now, switch sides and breathe in through your right nostril and out through your left one. Do that 7 times. Then breathe in and out through both nostrils 7 times. It keeps your mind busy and hopefully, off of what is troubling you. It hopefully relaxes you enough to fall asleep. Repeat several times, if needed.

Good luck and sleep well.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: