Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Upping Zoloft  (Read 238 times)

Offline shanlee80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Upping Zoloft
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »
I have been on 50 mg of Zoloft for about 15 yrs. My Dr wants to increase my dosage to 75 mg. The plan is for me to start taking klonopin tonight, twice a day. On fri, I am to start taking 75 mg of zoloft. She said after a month, I am to stop the klonopin. Has anyone done anything similar?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Upping Zoloft
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:37:13 PM »
I have been on 50 mg of Zoloft for about 15 yrs. My Dr wants to increase my dosage to 75 mg. The plan is for me to start taking klonopin tonight, twice a day. On fri, I am to start taking 75 mg of zoloft. She said after a month, I am to stop the klonopin. Has anyone done anything similar?

Sure. She is trying to forestall, or at least limit the heightened anxiety that may be triggered by the increased Zoloft dose. Often this surge in anxiety is short-lived, some don't get it at all, so you may not need to take the Klonopin for the full month, but discuss stopping with your doctor first.

Be aware that Klonopin may be sedating, especially in the first couple of weeks, and may affect judgment so don't drive or do anything hazardous until you get a handle on how it's affecting you.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline shanlee80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
Thank you. I am about to take my first dose, and of course I am beyond nervous. She wants me to take 1 mg, but I am going to take half of that for my first time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:37:06 AM »
She wants me to take 1 mg, but I am going to take half of that for my first time.

Is this 1mg/day, or 2 x 1mg/day? If the latter you would be wise to try a lower dose as you may be sleeping away most of the day on 2mg/day until your body adjusts.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline shanlee80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
1mg twice a day. I took half last night, and I slept ok. The pharmacist said I could take my second dosage when I wake up, and I probably should bc I woke up anxious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shanlee80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »
Do you think that dosage increase is a lot? Going from 50 to 75?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
Do you think that dosage increase is a lot? Going from 50 to 75?

If 50mg wasn't working anymore, I'd go up to 100mg after a week at 75mg. Most people on Zoloft take 100-150mg/day, some 200-300mg and there are a few on 400mg.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: