Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Prozac in am or pm  (Read 231 times)

Offline alwaysworring

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Prozac in am or pm
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »
So I started taking Prozac 10mg at night. For about 7 days I had horrible insomnia but it has lessened a lot...

I had called my pcp regarding this and he says to take in the am so it won't affect my sleep as much.

My question...does it really matter? I'm sleeping better and don't know how I'll feel taking it the am..

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Prozac in am or pm
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »
My question...does it really matter? I'm sleeping better and don't know how I'll feel taking it the am..

I doubt it will make any difference good or bad. Prozac has such a long half-life, about 20 days if you include the active metabolite, that the variation in plasma levels over 24 hours would be barely detectable. There's a slightly tweaked formulation that is only taken once a week.

If insomnia continues to be a problem ask your doctor to prescribe a small dose of trazodone (Desyrel). It is a sedating antidepressants which these days is almost exclusively prescribed for SSRI induced insomnia. At low doses it has no antidepressant properties and only acts as a strong antihistamine, so it won't affect the Prozac. The over-the-counter antihistamine Benadryl might just be sedating enough to give you a good nights sleep too.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
So I started taking Prozac 10mg at night. For about 7 days I had horrible insomnia but it has lessened a lot...

I had called my pcp regarding this and he says to take in the am so it won't affect my sleep as much.

If it feels better taking it at night, then take the Prozac (Flouoxtine) at night.  Just make it a habit to take the medication at certain time at night.  Some posters have discussed forgetting to take their medication at night, especially on weekends, due to family visits, or going to an evening movie and forgetting to take the med after the movie.  One forum member made a very good suggestion to put your iphone/android on vibrate at say 8:00, so you know to take the medication at 800 wherever you are.

Taking it AM or PM doesn't matter, due to Prozac's long half life.  You'll always have Prozac in your system from the previous dosage; however, if your body falls asleep easier with night time usage, then you should take the medication at night.

In a previous post,you mentioned having surplus Trazedone given from your doctor in  a previous proscription.  You should take the Trazedone with the night time Prozac (Fluoxetine), however I think think you should contact your doctor about the recommended dosage.  You stated you could take 20mg of Trazedone, which I think is safe, but again, get it past with your doctor by phone.   Most doctors answer within 24 hours if you make it a urgent matter, and I think switching medications is an urgent matter, because these medications have a strong reaction with our brains and body.  A simple call beforehand could prevent a psychological outburst later.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline alwaysworring

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »
 the  doctor is  okay  with  me  taking  the trazodone. I  just  haven't  yet  cause  it  seems  better.  he  just  suggested  taking  the  Prozac  in  the  am..  the  last two nights I  took  the  Prozac  and .50 xanax  before  bed..

Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »

If you feel better now, taking the Prozac at night,  maybe you can continue taking it an night for another week, and if the insomnia doesn't really subside, then take it the AM. 

And that response is based on the jist of what I read from your post.

But try not to over-complicate this AM/PM decision,  just take the Prozac daily.  If you take it at night, for now just take it at night.  But just like if you don't like watching  the news in the evening for a week, you can always choose to watch the news in the morning instead.  It's a decision just like how you manage your decisions with Prozac intake..

the  doctor is  okay  with  me  taking  the trazodone. I  just  haven't  yet  cause  it  seems  better.  he  just  suggested  taking  the  Prozac  in  the  am..  the  last two nights I  took  the  Prozac  and .50 xanax  before  bed..

Great.  As prescribed by your doctor, take the Trazedone at night, and the insomnia should began to wear off, since it's very sedating at low doses for SSRI users.  You'll be sleeping like a baby. :)   Also keep him informed about your Xanax usage, since the Trazedone should pick off the need to manage the insomnia, without the need for Xanax.

Sweet dreams!
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Tags: