Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Nervous about 4 year old lymph nodes!!!  (Read 177 times)

Offline yummymommy

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Nervous about 4 year old lymph nodes!!!
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »
lemme start by saying, I am new to this forum, when i first came across the site, i couldnt beleive my eyes, i was so happy to see that i am not the only one suffering from all these phobias, and have constant (extreme) anxiety about my health, and kids health. i looked through some of these topics, it was like- i could have written them myself, i've gone through what so many of you have posted- omg, scary to see!

now, about my problem. couple of months ago, i noticed a small candy shape bump on my sons neck-visible only  when he turned his head to side. naturally, i panicked! the lump was moveable, and not very hard. i ran to an urgent care in my neighborhood, he right away assured me that its nothing, just a normal lymph node. but, like some of you can relate, i wasnt calm about this and took him to my regular pediatrician next day- he also said its normal lymph node. 2 days later, my anxiety got the better of me, and i decided i dont trust the first 2 doctors, and i went to third one- she also said its normal lymph node. luckily, i calmed down and stopped feeling it, just occcasionally to make sure it didnt get bigger.

Now, couple of months later, my anixety triggered again, and......... im nervous about it! it hasnt really gotten bigger, but not smaller either! when i felt his neck (poor child) i felt another one (right underneath jaw), that im sure was also there a couple of months ago! hes all the time acting fine, feeling ok.
NOW WHAT? should i go back to doctor? should i just ignore?
any of you had such experience? any of you have kids that just have palpable lymph nodes?
PLEASE CALM ME, IM SO NERVOUS ABOUT IT!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietyguy09

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nervous about 4 year old lymph nodes!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »
I am not an expert, I can't tell you when/what we are supposed to be worried about regarding lumps in kids... but I experienced the exact same thing as you. One of my kids had one in her neck, the other in the lower back of his head. My doctor said not to touch it, as it can bother it. She said it is absolutely nothing to worry about it... though I freaked out just like you did.

I have done my best to obey the doc, and both kids are all good. The lymph nodes went down eventually (though one did come back the next time she was sick).
Bookmark and Share

Offline loveya14

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:29:59 PM »
Same thing here for my son!!!!!!when he turns his neck a certain way especially if he is sick or just getting over being sick , I can see them . They have been there since he is about 2 yrs old he is now 8 . I always have the doctors at his pedatrican office feel them when ever we go there . They always say its okay , its nothing and common , as long as they arent steadly getting bigger . Also they should be rubbery and movable not hard and stiff. I hope this helps  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »
My son has had one since he was 6 months old. Right after vaccination to be exact. He is now two and still has this. I spoke with two doctors and also a surgeon at a children's hospital about it. I believe it has to do with his vaccination and nothing serious but as a mother, i worry about my child
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypomania

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »
Even though I'm constantly worried about lymphoma for myself, I've had a large lymph node in my neck ever since I was a baby. Apparently my mother said that the doctor advised her that enlarged nodes in the cervical region (the neck) are normal and completely benign in young children.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »
I am worried about lymphoma for myself also. I have a small mobile, lump in my neck. Moves around  a bit, small. And hasn't grown since i found it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCWest

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »
Oddly enough this is something I have never really worried about - and I have LOTS of hard lymph nodes in my neck. I recently did get them checked out because I was sick, and there's no big deal. Get them checked out for sure, but unless they're the size of a grapefruit overnight I think everything is OK!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: