Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with zyprexa?  (Read 228 times)

Offline indygirl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone have experience with zyprexa?
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
After trying many ssri's for terrible anxiety (and nausea), I was just prescribed 5 mg zyprexa (normally given for bipolar).  I took my first dose last night and ended up sleeping for over 10 hours.  Now I am extremely groggy.  My heart is still racing a bit but I am not feeling particularly anxious.  The usual daily nausea is gone as well.  I wondered if anyone has had a good experience with this drug for anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone have experience with zyprexa?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:17:20 PM »
I wondered if anyone has had a good experience with this drug for anxiety.

While it will probably work I think the SNRI or tricyclic antidepressants should have been tried first. I believe they are better long term options.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »
After trying many ssri's for terrible anxiety (and nausea), I was just prescribed 5 mg zyprexa (normally given for bipolar).  I took my first dose last night and ended up sleeping for over 10 hours.  Now I am extremely groggy.  My heart is still racing a bit but I am not feeling particularly anxious.  The usual daily nausea is gone as well.  I wondered if anyone has had a good experience with this drug for anxiety.

As an anxiety disorder sufferer, Zyprexa(Olanzapine) was not helpful to mange my uncontrolled anxiety.  In addition to the loss of libido, the medication would make me so sleepy.  I was even beginning to fall asleep in company meetings, or possibly driving home, so I quit that medicine within a few days.   Do note Zyprexa is a antipsychotic meant for people with Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia  For me I'm not bipolar, but why the psychiatrist paired me with a bipolar medication is beyond me.  I guess antipsyycotics have faster results with calming our minds down, but I think it's the wrong med to give an anxiety disorder sufferer.

Yesterday on the Intro forum, you wrote you were on Vibrybd for just a few weeks.  Stay on Vibryd.  Also it's a good idea that you give these antidepressants a chance.  Sometimes you'll have to wait up to twelve weeks to get the benefit of the med. 

Also if you have a history of starting and stopping antidepressant know this causes a harmful reaction to your brain chemistry, where the antidepressants don't have the same initial effect, when you try them again at a second, third or fourth time, etc as when you first tried them.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline indygirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
Update:  I was on the zyprexa for 10 days before I had to quit.  It actually took away a bit of the anxiety and I wasn't feeling nauseous like I had been, but it made me so groggy and numb.  I was dizzy and lightheaded all of the time and sleeping 12 hours a day.  It just didn't work for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JackieMarie875

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
I tried this medicine for a month (7.5 mg) for depression, and was impressed that i was able to sleep again. It also helped my appetite and intrusive thoughts.  Tried to go without it after the month period but the intrusive thoughts were horrible and so I went back on it.  It does make me sleep too much but it's worth it I think.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: zyprexa