Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: How do you ignore symptoms?  (Read 291 times)

Offline Lo213

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How do you ignore symptoms?
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »
I find it impossible to ignore my physical symptoms. How do you do it?  My newest most bothersome symptom is a deep aching in both of my elbows, which can last for hours or even days. My doctor said it sounds like referred pain, which to me means it's coming from my heart. This has been made worse by the fact that I read a story last night about a heart attack survivor who had weird aching in her arms in the months leading up to her attack. I have noticed that I notice the pains less at work, but I seem to notice them more and more each day. But like now I'm at home and they ache so bad it's impossible not to pay attention to them. I woke up numerous times last night and while the pain didn't seem to wake me up, once I noticed it it would get so bad it would make me cry. Pain killers, heat, and ice don't help. My husband keeps telling me to ignore it and if it's anxiety it will go away but I find it to be impossible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do you ignore symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
I know how you feel.. when someone says ignore it and you just can't! I have headaches that just will not go!

I would guess if it was heart related you would have other symptoms? You say you notice it less at work, is that because you're too busy to think about it therefore that would prove it's anxiety related and the same when you wake at night, you don't wake with the pain.. it comes on when you think about it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »
Keep busy.  My HA flares when I have free time.  That's not to say don't relax, but choose activities that will keep you from googling...watch a movie, go somewhere, take a walk, read a good book, etc.
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
Unfortunately I do have other symptoms on a daily basis, the elbow pain is just the current most prominent one. I can't tell whether the thought or the pain comes first. And at work I wonder if I don't notice it as much because it's not really there or because it's really always there but not as bad and I get used to it and when I notice it the thinking about it makes it more intense.

I can kind of see how my brain has created pains in the past. For example my unrelenting stomach pain went away as soon as I got a clear test. So maybe this is something completely in my head. But, of course, what if it isn't?  My doctor suggested the pain might be coming from my neck or upper back so to apply heat there, but it hasn't helped. So I've narrowed down the causes to be either completely in my head, referred pain from my stomach (it's possible that I have gastritis or even an ulcer) or my heart. I can't rule out my heart because all of the tests in the world can't seem to do that, so instead I have to prove its one of the others.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:55:36 PM »
I find it impossible to ignore my physical symptoms. How do you do it?  My newest most bothersome symptom is a deep aching in both of my elbows, which can last for hours or even days. My doctor said it sounds like referred pain, which to me means it's coming from my heart. This has been made worse by the fact that I read a story last night about a heart attack survivor who had weird aching in her arms in the months leading up to her attack. I have noticed that I notice the pains less at work, but I seem to notice them more and more each day. But like now I'm at home and they ache so bad it's impossible not to pay attention to them. I woke up numerous times last night and while the pain didn't seem to wake me up, once I noticed it it would get so bad it would make me cry. Pain killers, heat, and ice don't help. My husband keeps telling me to ignore it and if it's anxiety it will go away but I find it to be impossible.

I learn what causes the pains, and remind myself. Or you can always try less... normal methods. Ive mentioned it before, I read creepypastas a lot. It gives the anxiety a source, a clearly fictional one, and helps me realize that the anxiety is whats causing the symptoms. Gives you something impossible to ignore that isnt you. If you don't know what a creepypasta is, perfect.

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Gateway_of_the_Mind
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »
I wish I could find out exactly what was causing it. Then there would be nothing to be anxious about. The rest of my life is so good, but my symptoms which are probably caused by anxiety cause more anxiety. Every once and awhile I'm able to convince myself I'm okay, but it's usually short lived. And it's so hard to believe that my mind can create such horrible and painful symptoms so easily yet it can't seem to stop them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »
So at work today I only noticed the pain once for abou half an hour, and it wasn't that bad. But then on my way home I was talking to my husband and found out that my SIL and BIL won't have the money they owe us until Friday an I got upset and yelled and my arms started to ache. Logic brain is saying if it were serious it would have acted up at work but anxiety says it's happening now because the stress raised my blood pressure and now I'm having a heart attack. I'm trying to relax but it's just making me focus on the pain.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: