Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: pysical pain...what could it be?  (Read 303 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
pysical pain...what could it be?
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:31 AM »
I have been a mess physically ever since around 2008. It all began with tight muscles and cramping around my hips and thighs. Then out of nowhere I injured a muscle in my hip area which caused terrible chronic pain for at least a year, only to come and go after that. I had an x-ray which showed two 2mm bone chips in my hip joint. Anyway, I did physical therapy, and now it only bothers me when I work out too much.

Around the same time I began having back pain, which I thought was caused by tension, so I dismissed it. The pain is all around my upper back, shoulder blades, ribs, and is now even around to my abdominal rib area. The pain feels like my muscles are tight, but there is also a knawing, burning sensation, which at times makes me want to come out of my skin or scream because it is so never-ending and constant. Lying on my back while sleeping sometimes wakes me up because of the terrible pain I get just from the pressure of my back to the mattress.

Now, I am not one to run to the doctor for any little thing, and I probably deal with pain well, despite the suffering I go through with it. I guess I just suck it up and deal with it.

I happened upon some information about fibromyalgia yesterday. Oh my gosh! I had all but maybe one of the symptoms. Even the ibs. I don't really consider myself a hypochondriac, so I don't think this revelation is out of the question. I have mentioned the back pain to my doctor during past check-ups, but because I never made a big deal out of it, it was never addressed or diagnosed.

Does anyone think fibromyalgia may be a possibility. And if so, could it also be implicating factor behind my increase in anxiety/depression?

Thank You for your responses :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: pysical pain...what could it be?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »
Hi,

Anything can increase anxiety/depression depending on the person . . .even though you are not one to run to the doctor, my first recommendation is that you book an appointment for a physical and, before the physical, make a chronological list of when and how your symptoms appeared and any interventions to help the doctor have an overall understanding of how you perceive your health . . . .

As far as I know, and I am not a med professional, fibroymyalgia is diagnosed by a process of elimination of any other causes so you do need professional intervention . . .sucking it up is an option but I am not sure how that will give you a definitive answer . . . if the cause is not physical, then you know that it is psychological . . .and, for that reason among others, I strongly recommend that you do not look on the web . . .for folks like us with anxiety, it is very easy to acquire the symptoms that we read about . . . . so, you need to make the list, ensure that the doctor knows the severity of each symptom and the frequency and, if possible, the context . . . for example, your IBS is worse when you are under stress at work but it is fine otherwise, etc. whatever the case may be for you . . .

If you are not already doing this, then perhaps you need a referral to a therapist to help guide you to develop strategies for managing stress and/or anxiety . . . .

Because fibromyalgia, either caused by anxiety or physical issues, can be frustrating and tiring, etc., this could potentially intensify depression and/'or anxiety . . .but only medical professionals could help diagnose and work with you on a "best" course of action for you . . . whenever you can, let us know how things are going for you, okay? Take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
Hi CarrieAnn...

I am so sorry to hear about the pain/discomfort that you are enduring.  As I was reading your post, before I got to the part where you mentioned fibromyalgia, I thought, "maybe fibromyalgia".  However, there is an old adage that states, "The doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient."  Now I am not a doctor, and I know that you are not one either, so the best advise I can give you is stop looking up your symptoms on the Internet, and make an appointment to see your physician.  And when you see your doctor, be 100% open with them.  Even tell them what you think you have.  I do that, and it puts my mind at easy when he tells me, "No, you don't have that."

I will sure keep you in my positive thoughts, and my prayers too.  The very best to you, CarrieAnn!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
Thank you Kc and Chuck, for your replies; I know the only way to know what is going on is by going to the doctor, but ever since discussing my anxiety with her in the past, I honestly get the feeling that she doesn't take me very seriously. That is why I avoid going there for any little twinge of pain. She kind of looks at me sideways if I even suggest something.

My visits with her seem to be very rushed, as if she doesn't have time for me (?). And 'the stenographer' that comes in with her, don't know what to say about that. Well, in the past my doctor would document everything herself on the computer, then a couple of years ago she started bringing in another person who sits in the room with us to do the documenting---that is who I call 'the stenographer'. I asked my doctor why she has a 'stenographer' and she said it allows her to see more patients. Well, I kind of figured more patients means less time to visit, which is probably why she runs out of there like she doesn't want to be late for something.

But, I do agree, I can't rightfully diagnose myself since I don't have a phd. I just have to build up the moxie to go there as I am intimidated by her sideways looks. I don't want to feel that I am wasting her time.

Maybe it's time to look for a new doctor who actually has time for me :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »
Well, I guess that I would suggest that you look for another doctor . . . perhaps friends may be able to suggest someone to you . . . you do need someone who will take you seriously . . .whether your symptoms are physical or psychological, they still are symptoms and are owed due follow up . . . don't get discouraged . . . . it might take a while and a lot of questions, but I am sure you will find someone who is not simply processing you . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Thank You Kc, well, I've been going to this family practice since I was a teenager. My original doctor retired a couple of years ago, I really loved him, he would take the time to really listen, and always came up with good advice or treatment. So, I've had the new doctor ever since. Another thing that bothers me is that she doesn't remember anything. When I brought up my hip injury she didn't remember what I was talking about, I had to remind her. I brought my mother there for a check-up once, a few months later the doc. asked me how the kids were...I don't have kids, she said, 'I remember you here with someone once', I had to remind her it was my Mom. So, all that makes me feel she is just not vested in my care.

Hope I don't sound like a complainer  :-*  just wish there was good help out there, especially when I pay top dollar for health insurance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
Hi,

One strategy that I work is that before I show up for my physical (and I have a super doctor who takes whatever time is needed but he has so many patients), so before I show up for my physical, I send him a fax or drop off a written copy of what I need to discuss including if I need any prescriptions renewed. . . he once told me that it was perfect for him because it helped him to focus on what I needed to discuss . . . now, he will still tell me things that he has found (for example, I take thyroid meds so he will tell me the results of my tests, etc.) . . . . the other thing is that I get my requisitions for blood work or whatever I need from the doctor ahead of time so that when I show up for my physical, then he has all of the results so he can answer my questions . . . of course, if it is an urgent visit without time to get the blood work done ahead of time, this is not possible . . . . it is a bit of a challenge to go from a doctor who a person likes to a new doctor . . . I will soon be facing this as my doctor wants to retire in the next couple of years and I am not looking forward to this at all . . . . take care, KC

p.s.  If you are paying top dollar, then look around for a doctor . . . . you need and deserve someone who will pay attention to *your* needs and even if you told the doctor that you thought you were a duck, the doctor should take that seriously and not simply dismiss you  . . . .
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »
Kc, good points...I've stayed with her because I don't wan to hurt her feelings, but I guess I should consider my own feelings too :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »
Oh, trust me, you won't hurt her feelings . . .given your experiences, she probably won't even notice that you haven't returned . . . the only trigger will be is when you ask for your records to be transferred . . . you don't have to burn bridges . . . find a new doc first and then ask for a transfer of your records . . . but remember you are independent and you do not have to justify your decision . . . sometimes, and for no reason whatsoever, professional relationships just don't align . . . a friend went through 3 or 4 counselors before finding one with whom she felt comfortable . . .the other 3 or 4 were not nasty, she just did not relate to them and did not feel that the process would be beneficial . . .she is now with a therapist who appears to be guiding her in her recovery rather effectively and after 2 years and a bit she only goes once a month for a "reality check" as she calls it . . . just to get an objective perspective . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 10:17:31 PM »
Kc, I might just give her another chance. My next check-up is in May 2014, but if I go sooner to ask about this pain I will update everyone here on what she says. But, I'm taking your advice and bringing a detailed list of my symptoms and questions I want to ask her. 

Thank You So Much For Your Input! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »
CarrieAnn,
     I was reading through your thread here and I have to say, most of the stated points were ones I would make as well. I seem to have chronic pain and chronic fatigue. I am almost positive that some of my chronic pain is a manifestation on my anxiety and depression that I have been suffering from honestly as long as I can remember (even as a child). I think I was in 4th grade when I really started it.

Because I think some of my problems are from my anxiety, I don't always know the difference between that and true, honest to goodness pain! (I was however in a major car accident recently so I'm sure anything new is from that). And it seems to turn into this ongoing snowball effect of pain, anxiety, and more pain....

I also suggest finding a new Doctor! If you are not comfortable with her and telling her your problems then its time to move on! No matter how rushed a doctor is, they shouldn't make you feel like a number or that you don't matter or worse, that you only get 2 mins of their time!

I hope this helps, and if you wanna chat/vent, you are more than welcome to send me a message! Feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »
Hi Kissa, I have been thinking my pain is anxiety/depression all along, but after I read that information about fibromyalgia it made me wonder... 
My Dad has an absolutely wonderful doctor that I am considering as an option. She has a small office, and it is just her and another doctor. When I take him to his appointments I usually go in the room with him, and her approach is very different from my doctor. I would say she is more 'old school' which is a good thing. First of all she doesn't waste time documenting everything. She was also my Mom's doctor, and after my Mom passed away she personally called us to give her condolences, plus sent a sympathy card! I feel that she is one who truly does care about her patients.

Thank You for your reply :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »
My instincts tell me that your Dad's doctor would probably be an excellent choice . . . also, and this for me a signal of a "good" doctor, when your Mom passed away, the doctor called your family . . . .here is a doctor who connects the different aspects of "good medicine" --- the physical and the psychological . . . which I think is the type of practitioner you need . . . I hope I have the same good luck when I have to look for another doctor when my current one retires . . . and, by the way, and, again just my opinion, I wouldn't worry about giving your current doctor another chance . . . you need to connect as soon as possible with someone who will listen to you so you can get on with your own recovery . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 04:01:30 PM »
Hi Kc, another thing I remember about my Dads doctor...a few years ago he underwent treatment for an illness, during the treatment he had a bad gallbladder attack, well I called the doctor's exchange phone number because it happened on a Sunday---she called me back literally within minutes!

I think that the thing that is holding me back from leaving my doc. is probably my ever-present companion, anxiety. For some reason, I have fear getting in the way of letting her go....even though I have these feelings about her I doubt my better judgment I don't know why... I suppose anxiety makes a person sort of lose confidence in their own feelings.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »
When I get anxious about doing some such as switching docs or seeing a new one, I pretty much let it go until I get to the point where the need to find a new doc out weighs my anxiety. I find that with a lot of things.

You can do it! Whether its now or later, I have faith!
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Tags: