Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: How can I stop this?  (Read 154 times)

Offline Vasallus

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How can I stop this?
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:43:04 AM »
So I have hit an all time low with my HA. While it can be troublesome and make me panic but it has never been this bad.

I sat down to eat a sandwich with a tall glass of water (all I really drink now is water) and I have been trouble swallowing for about a month now. I went to the doctor for it and he looked in my mouth and the back of my throat and said everything looks fine that it is just anxiety. It hasn't been so bad, it is the worst when I am eating stuff like bread or milk or something crunchy and I chew my food so much and eat so little I have lost a good bit of weight. Everyone is noticing it.

I am sitting here shaking and my mind is so fuzzy I can barely type this. When I started drinking the water it felt like it was sliding over a lump but i kept drinking large gulps thinking it was just a piece of bread stick. When this didn't help, I started having trouble breathing and then I just freaked out. The thought of "what if I have throat ulcers and they end up blocking my airway or when I had my tonsils taken out what if there is scar tissue and it blocks my airway?" My panic only escalated from there, and I am still at work and my coworker asked if I was okay.

I excused myself to the bathroom. Then it was complete bowel evacuation, and I know that was because of the panic. Then there was blood on my stool, not a lot, and it starts all over again. I have been at work only an hour and that 20 minutes of panic has me feeling like I have been here my full 10 hours. I am so drained and sick of this roller coaster.

What I fear most is my airway closing up and not being able to breathe. Before that it was stomach cancer. Then brain tumor. then heart attack. I can't take much more of this. Sorry to vent, but I hope someone understands this and convince me to calm down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How can I stop this?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:10:02 AM »
All of your symptoms are panic symptoms. The thing about swallowing and not being able to breathe, especially. those are actually interesting, because we've done countless studies of people during panic attacks to try and find out why this happens... As far as anyone can tell, there is not a single instance where any physiological change has occurred. Not one. They are literally manifested by panic out of nothing.

In any event. In order for the symptoms you are having to be from other problems, you would have to have multiple unrelated health issues, all of which are at a very minor stage, which flip on and off seemingly in time with the panic you admit to having. So you're either having panic attacks and getting the symptoms of panic... Or you're getting panic attacks, and having the symptoms of panic being caused by several unrelated health issues that just so happen to be creating symptoms identical to panic, but only during the times of panic, but are also not being caused by the ongoing panic attack.

Im sure you know which scenario is most plausible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:21:33 AM »
I managed to calm down after taking my break and I caught my health anxiety in action. I started having light pains in my right rib cage and started freaking out again but then realized: I haven't been having trouble breathing as I wasn't focused on my breathing. Anxiety is a clever bastard!

I do need to go in for a physical. It has been five years since I have had a good and proper exam and I figure I can ask the doctor about these symptoms. How would you go about choosing the right doctor and making sure not to overload him with questions. I'm afraid I will start asking him about every little thing and he will get sick of me and tell me to get out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 06:23:32 AM »
Ask your friends for a doctor recommendation - when you make the appointment tell them that your are brining a list of questions and that in addition to the physical exam they should block out enough of the doctors time so that you and he can discuss your concerns.  When the doctor comes in the room tell him right away that you have a list of questions you would like answered before you leave. 

Where people run into problems is not telling them up front that they have a lot of questions then waiting till he says "OK see you next year" then they pull out their list.  Just let them know up front.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »
My physician once told me that any persistent or worsening symptoms should be investigated.
I would see a physician as it has been 5 years and I would mention the blood issue also.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Vasallus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
My physician once told me that any persistent or worsening symptoms should be investigated.
I would see a physician as it has been 5 years and I would mention the blood issue also.

Well, from what I have noticed the problems didn't start until my anxiety started, but maybe it has been going on longer and I just didn't pay as much attention to it as I do now? My anxiety all started when I had my first panic attack which was brought on by dehydration. Ever since then I have been super sensitive and vigilant about anything my body does or feels.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »
I would also monitor the blood because this is not a symptom of anxiety. There are many causes of it that aren't serious but do keep a close eye on it
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
I would also monitor the blood because this is not a symptom of anxiety. There are many causes of it that aren't serious but do keep a close eye on it

Will do. It doesn't happen all the time so maybe I am straining too much? Who knows. Thanks for all the support and advice guys. Have a happy new year! I'm gonna try to drink a little and loosen up.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: