Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Inpatient or outpatient supervision?  (Read 199 times)

Offline Beth0810

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Inpatient or outpatient supervision?
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »
I've been posting here off and on since August.  I've been prescribed Prozac for anxiety and depression, but I  terrified of taking another med after getting hives while on Zoloft. 

I know I need to take something.  I'm a scoring in the moderate to severe category on depression questionnaires and I have stopped sleeping for more than two hours a night. 

What I'm wondering is if hospitals ever admit people for the time when they are going on meds- to have someone there while I take them, and to be able to stay until I  comfortable.  Or even an outpatient situation.  How would I find out about this if there was such a program?   

I want to get better.  But my anxiety and fear is keeping me in the same place.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Inpatient or outpatient supervision?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:34:48 PM »
While I'm not 100% sure, I don't think a hospital will admit you unless you are a danger to yourself and/or others.  I don't know where you're located, but where I live, there is a program called Partial Hospitalization Program.  It's an outpatient treatment program that meets 5 days a week.  There is a check-in period at the beginning and end of each day.  There are psychiatrists and therapists that lead groups and do medication management.  There is also some individual counseling.  If you currently have a psychiatrist, you can ask him/her if such a program exists in your area.  Good luck!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:06:26 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply.  I've sent an email to my therapist asking about treatment programs in the area.  I just want to be in a controlled environment when I go to take the meds... even just to stay for 3-4 hours or so.  I just want to see how it's going to affect me, and have someone there to tell me if what I'm feeling is normal.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 12:09:09 AM »
What I'm wondering is if hospitals ever admit people for the time when they are going on meds- to have someone there while I take them, and to be able to stay until I  comfortable.  Or even an outpatient situation. 

They may do. The only way I can start or switch antidepressants is in a hospital and I have recommended people having your difficulty also consider it. But, sadly, seems it isn't always a good move as I discovered after advising an AZ member to become an inpatient while adjusting to an AD. You can read what happened here.

The lessons from that episode seem to be:

1) Make sure the hospital doctors are competent in treating psych disorders - try and get into a hospital with a psych unit, you don't necessarily need to be admitted to it, but at least its doctors are available if needed,

2) make sure they know why you're there and don't start treating you with something else,

3) make 200% sure your health insurance will pay for the entire stay.

How would I find out about this if there was such a program?

Your psychiatrist or doctor should be able to advise you of the options you have.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:13:02 AM »
Most hospitals won't admit you unless you are a danger to yourself.

With that being said, there are most likely many support groups in your area. Whether its a weekly meeting or monthly, etc., there should be support groups for Anxiety/Depression and people you can talk to.

If you know you need to take something to feel better - I say bite the bullet and just take it. It's scary starting a new medicine, I totally understand, but would it be worse than how you're feeling now? Think of it that way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »
Totally correct.  I came to that conclusion last night as I was up the entire night- fell asleep for maybe a couple of hours after 3 a.m.. 

I am going to start the liquid Prozac tonight- mind you, my psychiatrist has me starting on only a drop due to my extreme anxiety over taking it.  Hopefully, by the weekend, I can go up to 1 mg... then 2, etc. etc.  I'm hoping to avoid any nasty start up effects by going so slowly... hoping that the opposite is not true and that I will not be prolonging said effects by going up so slowly.  Taking something at this point is better than taking nothing.  I have to do this. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »
Good luck.  Please keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: prozac ssri