Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: still concerned about slightly raised wbc during pregnancy  (Read 192 times)

Offline Brooke2288

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
still concerned about slightly raised wbc during pregnancy
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »
I am almost 24 weeks pregnant with twins and a week ago at my regular OB appointment, I had some routine blood work done. A nurse called me back a couple days later and said that everything came back normal, with just a slightly raised white blood cell count. This kind of freaked me out because I have a lymphoma fear. It also makes me worry about leukemia. The nurse said that a slightly raised white blood cell count can be normal with pregnancy and she was not concerned at all. I wasn't asked to come back in to do any more testing. Should I be concerned about this? I just can't seem to let it go.... ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: still concerned about slightly raised wbc during pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »
Brooke -

I know your concerns about lymphoma. A high WBC count during my lymphoma scare would terrify me. However, I can tell you that most of the time, physicians do a CBC w/Diff - which means they break down the WBC into all of the different types and test the levels.

If there was something off, they DEFINITELY wouldn't have wasted their time in doing more testing. You're pregnant! No doctor would take a "wait and see" approach of ANY kind with a woman being pregnant. They wouldn't put their job on the line for that.

Our WBC count can go up for so many minor things that we don't even know about/realize. If you're body is fighting off a cold/uti/bladder infection, you might not even have any symptoms because your body is doing it's job.

It makes sense that your WBC count would be high in pregnancy as your body might "up" the count just to make sure you and the babies are "overly-protected".

By the way - I'm a doula. So I know a thing or two about pregnancy/OBGYNs/birth ;-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply. It really means a lot coming from someone who knows a thing or two about obgyn care. I almost wish that the nurse wouldn't have even told me about the wbc if it wasn't high enough to be of a real concern....but then again, most people wouldn't be bothered the way I am about it...HA is exhausting sometimes!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:43:35 PM »
So I had another OB appointment today now that I am almost 27 weeks pregnant with my twins and I asked my doctor about my results. the normal range for wbc goes up to 10 and mine was only 11. he said that range doesn't even apply to pregnant women since wbc is usually slightly raised when pregnant and that it all looked normal. So I wasted a month freaking out about nothing....once again  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »
told ya  ;D

Now go and ENJOY your pregnancy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: