Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Viibryd--I need advice  (Read 282 times)

Offline dannysmiles19

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Viibryd--I need advice
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
I'm on Viibryd and I have been told it's like Lexapro with Buspar. I've been on it for almost four weeks... I'm not feeling recovered or well... so my question is how much more time should I give this medication?

Doesn't it take 6-8 weeks for full effect? I'm on 40 mg from the starter pack...and I'm almost to 30 days... it's frustrating how long these meds take to alleviate depression...what do I do?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Viibryd--I need advice
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »
Chill.  Go to the beach.  Did I just say go to the beach, and stop worrying?  Yup.  Are you still focused on the problem?  Stop making this such a big deal.   Why focus on a problem, if it doesn't make you feel good.  The medication will do the work, soon, if you allow it. You just have to give your brain time to regenerate itself with the aid of the Vibryd.

Four weeks is not enough time for your brain to go through neurogenesis to recuperate dead brain cells that were damaged from previous psychological stress.  Even your doctor told you to wait six weeks to notice some improvement.  Your overall timeline is more 3 months, than four weeks, however your anxiety will begin to be noticeably alleviated by the sixth to eighth week, if you just hold on.

If you focus on worry and the fear things will never get better, then you'll tire yourself. I know you're not feeling the greatest at the moment, but you have to psychologically get yourself to relax, and trust your doctor  knows what he's doing with your medication. 

Bitch at all the positive people in the world, tell them all to go to hell.  Hell, I  can be part of that obnoxious crowd for trying to be optimistic in such times.  But one day soon, you plan to join the ranks of those who manage their depression and anxiety, fairly soon.  Just try to be optimistic things will get better.  You have a medical problem and you are trying to manage it.  Focus on other things.  This will all pass. The pain is just temporary.  Feeling good is just down the corner, just let it all go.

Maybe there's a margarita in beach-ville? :fragend005: :P

:)
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:54:41 PM »
Well I appreciate your advice...but don't you think you're minimizing the reality of what's going on? From my experience...depression makes me feel helpless and anxious and it's only reasonable to focus on it when it's effecting my life so badly...

how could you tell me not to focus on something that is there day in and day out? Depression hurts...a lot...and to not focus on the constant pain...that's like asking a blind man to try and see again...

I can't go to the beach by the way...i don't know if you meant that figuratively or not...what do you think I've been doing since my problems escalated a couple years ago? I've been doing the best I can...I'm still here...after all of that pain...suffering...I'm still here...and you're telling me not to focus on something that is always there with me?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
Well I appreciate your advice...but don't you think you're minimizing the reality of what's going on? From my experience...depression makes me feel helpless and anxious and it's only reasonable to focus on it when it's effecting my life so badly...

how could you tell me not to focus on something that is there day in and day out? Depression hurts...a lot...and to not focus on the constant pain...that's like asking a blind man to try and see again...

I can't go to the beach by the way...i don't know if you meant that figuratively or not...what do you think I've been doing since my problems escalated a couple years ago? I've been doing the best I can...I'm still here...after all of that pain...suffering...I'm still here...and you're telling me not to focus on something that is always there with me?

I think everyone on Anxiety Zone (AZ) has come to a consensus depression is a bitch.  Fucking aye, I've been depressed, and it's not fucking fun. It's bullshit.  I fucking hate it.  Pardon my rude language, but everyone on this forum knows the hell of depression and anxiety.  :goofy:

I just say, it's given, that is why you are taking the medication to heal your brain.  The medication will alleviate the anxiety and depression if you give it time, as you follow the advice of your doctor.  Let the medication do the work, and allow you to one day have the depression and anxiety under control.

You can't rush the process.  Your brain has to take time to heal itself with the medication.  Usually it takes about three months, and in the mean time, you can focus on depression, and make yourself miserable, or you can focus somewhere else.

You have an imagination.  Make up a place.  Do you like beaches?  If you like women, then think about girls in bikinis, or vice versa, if you prefer men.  Do you like the feeling of the sun on your face?  Do you like feeling the sand in your fingertips.  Do you like working out, and showing your body on display, where everyone can say, "Damn. That dude is 'effing buffed."  Do you like roller skating on the beach, as the wind flaps in your face,.  Do you like to get tanned?

But, then you say, that's not reality.  Of course it's not reality, instead it's something pleasant to focus on, than to give your attention to your depression and anxiety that seems to be stuck (or even glued) in your reality.  You're making the depression and anxiety a priority, because you're locked in, because that's all you talk about.  If I'm right, since I've been depressed and anxious too with panic disorder, your friends and family don't even want to be around you, because you emit such a negative vibe with your focus on depression and anxiety.

If it doesn't serve you, then don't give it your attention.  In the mean time, while you are focusing on more positive things like the beach, and the feeling of the wind on your face, and all the wonderful feelings of being in that environment, you've distracted yourself.  Likewise, your brain is working in the background, recooperating itself through neurogenesis with the antidepressant.  Thank god for Vibryd.  :goofy:

Anyway, I'm not giving you advice. I'm just telling you how I control my anxiety and depression, as I allow the medication do the work.  Not to mention, if you have some good insurance, as well as a couple of grand to spend on therapy, you can get a therapist to teach you the same technique to distract yourself.  Basically your therapist should teach you rational emotive therapy*, where you stop making things such a big fucking issue.  Ok, it's depression, it will pass.  In the mean time, let's not give it all our attention, because there are many, thousands of other things to focus on in our head.

Like the beach .....  So much more pleasant in my imagination, than to bitch about my current reality.   :fragend005: :dazed:

http://albertellis.org/ *
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Online insights

• Rec's: 66
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
I'm on Viibryd and I have been told it's like Lexapro with Buspar.

Yes, it is a SSRI combined with a Buspar like compound. Buspar has been used for many years to boost the effectiveness of SSRIs, or to reactivate ones that has stopped working. It may also counter SSRI induced sexual dysfunction.

I've been on it for almost four weeks... I'm not feeling recovered or well... so my question is how much more time should I give this medication?

As with all antidepressants, 3-12 weeks.

I'm on 40 mg from the starter pack...

The therapeutic dose is 40mg. Higher doses may increase its effectiveness, however, the data for this isn't strong. BTW-it is important that you take it with food. Taking it on an empty stomach reduces plasma levels by up to 50% significantly reducing its effectiveness.

it's frustrating how long these meds take to alleviate depression...what do I do?

Antidepressants work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells in the hippocampal regions of the brain and the forging of new or stronger interconnections between the hippocampi and other areas of the Limbic system. It is the new brain cells and connection which produce the therapeutic effect, not the antidepressants. Unfortunately, all this takes time.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 08:18:51 PM »
Thank you...to the both of you. Abraham, I understand what you're getting it and it's basically like...DBT, CBT etc...and that's important. Both of you have mentioned the hippocampus and neurogenesis...

I learned by researching that the brain of a depressed person is different than that of someone who isn't depressed...I thought that this was all just a theory...if it's just a theory, then why do these medications correct a problem in the brain that depressed people have?

But thank you...both of you for responding. Insights always responds even though he knows I posted a bunch of things on here... I do it because I need something to confide in while I am going through a period of sickness...

I often ask myself why me? Why do I go through the hell of it? I just want to live a happy life...
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »
I thought that this was all just a theory.

In science a 'theory' isn't simply an idea, or hypothesis. It is an idea survived every test to date and is supported by considerable evidence. Unfortunately, the common usage of 'theory' can mislead hence we get people, even doctors, spouting the 'chemical imbalance' theory. It was never that in a scientific/medical sense, only ever a hypothesis. One that started coming off the rails very early on, even before the SSRIs became available.

Anxiety and depression are unquestionably diseases of the brain, not the mind which is merely a construct of the brain, albeit a brain disease which is sometimes amenable to being treated by the brain itself through the mind. IMHO, one of the most damaging concepts of medicine has been to classify psych disorders as 'mental' disorders. This has caused more people to not seek treatment than any other factor, ensuring much unnecessary suffering.

While the antidepressant-neurogenesis theory has stacked up so far I suspect it is incomplete. That it is merely the tip of a very large iceberg which will take a lot of work to fully reveal. Unfortunately, with pharmaceutical companies increasingly turning their back on psych drug research the answers may be a long time coming.

/soapbox

I just want to live a happy life...

We all do and it is possible to get it too, but not always easy or quick, and the path back to a high quality life can be littered with frustrations, but it is doable, so hang in there. And Happy New Year.  :happy0151:

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
Thank you, Ian. I'm curious, how did you become so knowledgeable? and I hope you had a great new year.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:22:03 AM »
Thank you, Ian. I'm curious, how did you become so knowledgeable?

I have no life and read a lot. :)

Actually, years of reading everything I could on the subject in the years since Jan 18, 1987 when I had the panic attack that propelled me into panic disorder, plus at one time I had several doctors and a psychiatrist on my staff whose brain's I picked relentlessly. But probably most of it I've learned from others with anxiety and depression while participating in forums like this one.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: