Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Still worried about rabies... ;(  (Read 240 times)

Offline sgr15

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Still worried about rabies... ;(
« on: December 30, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »
About nine weeks ago I was outside during the dark and it was pretty windy out. I thought I felt something hit my ear. Now I'm worried it could have been a bat and could have contracted rabies. Should I be worrying AGAIN? Thank you for reading.
Bookmark and Share

Online kconnors

• Rec's: 55
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Still worried about rabies... ;(
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Hi,

I can appreciate your concern, but I think that you are okay . . . however, if you are so concerned that this event is causing you increased anxiety and you just cannot get past it, then go to your family doctor and explain what happened. Again, although I am not a medical professional, I think you are fine as you do not mention experiencing any symptoms (and, do not search the internet because as most of us know, folks like us who suffer from anxiety often assume the symptomology) . . . . I hope this helps . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline sgr15

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
I talked to my parents about it and they said I'll be fine but I don't know why I keep worrying...
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:18:41 PM »
Hi SGR...

You mentioned that your occurrence happened some nine weeks ago.  Once infected with rabies, the average incubation period in humans is a few months.  So you would be showing symptoms by now.

Here is some statistical information that might make you feel better.  With some eight billion people on the planet, only 55,000 die of rabies annually, worldwide.  95% of those 55,000 people that die, live in Asia or Africa.  97% of rabies cases in humans, occur from dog bites.  In the United States, vaccination programs have effectively eliminated domestic dogs as reservoirs of rabies.  The CDC reports that only 2 or 3 people die from rabies in the United States, each year.  That's 2 or 3, of three hundred plus million people.

I hope that this makes you feel better.  We all have fears.  If your fears seem overwhelming, I would suggest you seek the assistance of a health care professional.  The best to you, SGR!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »
Hi!

Don't worry! You definitely do not have rabies! Even it was a bat not all bats have rabies. Also, did you see any open wounds or scratches after the impact? If not, then you really have nothing to worry about as rabies is spread though contact with fluid (saliva and blood). Take a deep breath dear. YOUR fine :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline nakmac

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 12:41:07 PM »

Hi SGR,

Believe it or not i had EXACTLY the same fears a few years ago - in fact i still do from time to time. We had a bat invasion in the university halls i was living in and became utterly convinced i had contracted Rabies when i touched one of them. But take it from me you do not have Rabies at all. You would definitely be symptomatic by now - and if you were there would be no way you would be in a position to be writing on this board. Relax and try to believe me. I know it can be hard though, when that horrible part of your brain starts overwhelming the part of you that knows you are fine.

Do yourself a favour and dont read up on the disease like i did - all of the stuff online is so vague that you'll only twist it to fit your anxiety. What i found helpful was getting my mum to read into the disease. She told me there was one symptom that i had not mentioned at all and that without it there was no way i could have Rabies. I have no idea to this day what that symptom was, but someone else having the facts helped me relax a lot - less pressure on self-examination.

Anyway, hope you feel better soon, i am sure you will.

NM
Bookmark and Share

Tags: