Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fatal Sporadic Insomnia and inability to sleep  (Read 492 times)

Offline Alvie22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fatal Sporadic Insomnia and inability to sleep
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
Hi, I am a 20 year old who has recently been suffering from Insomnia. It all started when one day when I felt like I was light sleeping instead of fully asleep. I figured it was just a one time thing, so I let it slide. Before that time, I slept an average of 8 hours, from 1 am - 10 am. As time when by, I felt like going to sleep was becoming more and more difficult. My parents left out of town for a week leaving me all alone in the house for that week. The Wednesday of the week they were gone, I realized that I was trying to fall asleep, but it felt like I kept jerking back awake. That was strange since it had never happened before. I decided to put on some soft music, and eventually feel asleep at 3am and woke up around 9am. As time went by, I didn't feel the jerking before until recently. This past Christmas week, I was sleeping decently. In fact, Christmas Eve I was the first one in the house to fall asleep. The night of Christmas day, I felt like I had trouble sleeping and would sleep in segments. That was when I read about Fatal Sporadic Insomnia. I was so afraid of the disease that I would wake up shaking after each segment of sleep I achieved. The past two nights, I've been getting the jerking again, and I can't sleep at all. I sleep for a bit, but I feel like I am conscious throughout the whole time. That happened last night as well, only it was worse. I don't think I got but maybe an hour and a half of sleep! As I am writing this, my mom gave me some sleeping pills earlier to make me try to go to sleep, but they only made me feel heavy and dizzy, and the same situation still persists, I feel like I can't go past a light sleep because of the feeling of jerking up awake and muscle twitching. Does anyone know why this happens? Also, I know these are some symptoms to Fatal Sporadic Insomnia, so is that a possibility? I've contemplated getting a sleep study and maybe a CAT scan to figure out if I truly do have this disease. I'm not afraid of death per say, but having a disease that doesn't let you sleep is very scary. I just wanna know if I am going to live or die so I can do what I want to do before I go crazy. What are the best way to detect this disease? Any help is appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fatal Sporadic Insomnia and inability to sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
There are 16 known cases of SFI in a global population of over 7,000,000,000, so the odds against having it are 450,000,000-to-one against.

Aside from progressive, and eventually total, insomnia, the symptoms of SFI are:

• Persistently elevated blood pressure
• Persistently elevated pulse
• Persistently elevated temperature
• Motor and speech disturbances (initially slight, progressing to dementia-like symptoms and total unresponsiveness)
• Difficulty with urination, ejaculation and lacrimation
• Severe constipation

One key marker is that in SFI patients, sleep deprivation results in a normal or elevated body temperature; in normal sleep deprived patients it results in lowered temperatures. Certainly, the less I sleep at night, the lower my body temperature in the morning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alvie22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fatal Sporadic Insomnia and inability to sleep
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »
I don't know about how warm I am in the mornings, but I am pretty much cold all the time. As far as the rest of the symptoms, I haven't had any problem with constipation, and I would argue that I have actually been urinating more frequently. I drink a lot of water when I get anxious. I can "fall" asleep, the only problem is that its like my body just re-activates after just a minute or so of being lightly asleep. It's really irritating. It's like my body doesn't want to completely "dive" into sleep. That is what kept me up all last night. I do re call sleeping for like an hour though. from 2am - 3am or so. All I know is that I want to sleep normally again, that's it. Any idea as to what that could be?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: