Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Dizziness Relief???  (Read 236 times)

Offline cmatthews1112

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Dizziness Relief???
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
Hi Everyone!
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to relieve or help with dizziness. I have been medically checked by my doctor and he doesn't think the dizziness is related to a serious health condition. Although I think I might go get a thorough check up from an ENT. I have had MRIs in the past due to having an episode of vertigo four years ago. My dizziness does tend to get worse in crowds...when I'm around lots of people...when I'm teaching. So I'm pretty sure it's anxiety related. It's the "oh my gosh I feel spinny and unsteady" feeling fof about 30 seconds. It comes and goes but is definitely disrupting my activities due to extreme fear of having the spells. What do you guys think???
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dizziness Relief???
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:37:17 AM »
Hi CM...

"Dizziness" is the #1 complaint of individuals visiting emergency rooms.  It is also a major symptom of anxiety conditions, and my prime symptom with my GAD.  There are things that you can do a lessen or relieve dizziness.  Dehydration can be a primary cause of dizziness; even mild dehydration can cause an increase in anxiety and thus lead to this symptom.  So drink lots of water, keep yourself hydrated.  Maintaining proper posture and looking straight ahead, not down at the ground, can help.  If anxiety is the cause of your dizziness, you really want to work on the root of your problem, the anxiety itself.  The most effective form of treatment in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  CBT teaches you breathing techniques, as hyperventilation can cause dizziness.  We can be hyperventilating, and not even be consciously aware of it.  It also teaches you to change the way you think.  And CBT desensitizes you, by having you face the situations that cause you anxiety.  I am scheduled to start CBT the end of January.

I hope this helps you, CM.  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline knittykitty

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
Do you have really tight neck muscles and or tension? I've always thought my dizziness was related to my neck tension, nothing medical to prove that but just a theory of my own.

I'm going to have some massages in the new year and work on relaxing my muscles (my anxiety causes me to be so tense all day long) to see if it helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
Knittykitty I have this dizziness as well and I think it's due to anxiety. It started in August for me and I would get dizzy for a few weeks and then it would go away for a few weeks and then return. I had an mri and it checked out normal. It makes me feel like there is something wrong with my brain. I do suffer from anxiety and depression and I went on lexapro 2 months ago only to have a 2 week dizzy spel return not too long ago. I'm hoping the lexapro tames down my anxiety so I don't have to deal with this in the future and I can learn how to handle situations better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline knittykitty

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
Hi Lynn - do you have neck/muscle tensions as well? Obviously we need to deal with the underlying causes of all this which is why I'm seeing my therapist but she recommended massage - got to be worth at least 1 try!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline WorryJules

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
hi there    strangely enough that's the reason i've just logged on.  i've had acute dizziness before.  one minute i'm feeling absolutely great and suddenly i feel dizzy and have trouble walking in a straight line.  i tend to feel nausea and i get real panicky.  i often need the loo too.  i suffer from blocked sinuses and tonight my left ear has felt a little blocked and my neck feels tense.  i have a history of feeling anxious too and have had panic attacks in the past.  i hate the feeling of feeling out of control.  when that happens i then go about diagnosing myself with every ailment/disease you can think of.  i hope this makes you feel that you are not alone. i hope you feel better soon.  the annoying thing is i wish i could just accept the dizziness without it consuming my every thought.  good luck
Bookmark and Share

Offline cmatthews1112

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »
I just hate not feeling in control when out in social situations...or shopping...or working! I constantly fear I'm going to pass out. I have googled everything and convince myself of the worst case scenarios. I have been on meds in the past....they help a bit. I've done therapy...that helps. Just want to be rid of the dizzies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
Knittykitty my neck does hurt often but I'm convinced it does since I'm on ipad too much researching my many symptoms! My dizziness comes for a week or two and then leaves for a week only to return again. I'm journaling now to see if I can notice a pattern. I think it has to due with my anxiety or the lexapeo I'm on. I read on one post that own woman noticed she would be dizzy during ovulation and during her period...I'm trying to figure out if there is any correlation there by journaling now.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: