Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Managing an Attack at Work  (Read 390 times)

Offline Isa

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
Managing an Attack at Work
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:32:53 AM »
Hi everyone, I was wondering how you handle panic attacks at work? I work at a small fitness club for women, mostly women who are in their 40's and older, and average 1-4 people working out per hour. I am mostly receptionist type thing but also am a trainer for the machines there if someone needs help. Normally during an attack I try to stay planted in my chair which doesn't help much or go to the back bathroom to clean. I have cleaned that bathroom sometimes three or four times during my shift (I currently work one 2 hour shift and two 4 hour shifts per week on average). I feel guilty about using excess supplies and also that I am not there in the front to chat with the ladies as I'm 'supposed' to do. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? I tried writing in my therapy journal for a while but now the owner of the club put a camera staring at the desk in, which naturally improved my anxious feelings at work (NOT), so I don't feel comfortable with that. I try some crosswords as there isn't much to do in terms of actual work when I'm there. Any ideas?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Managing an Attack at Work
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:37:22 PM »
Distraction is key during an attack (at least for me it is)

Are you on any medication? Do you have a rescue med like Xanax you can take when you feel an attack coming on?

I would just try to busy your mind - even talk to the people that come in, strike up a conversation, it'll distract your mind from focusing on the attack
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »
I am not on medication. I tried some and also tried Xanax, but I just don't really like medication in general. Therapy seems to be doing me a lot of good so far. Also with the Xanax I wouldn't be able to drive home if I took it at work. Sometimes conversation will make my attack worse, and normally I get an attack when a certain person will come in or someone who reminds me of a past person who hurt me, so I agree that distraction would help. Just trying to think of little things I can do besides a crossword puzzle or cleaning. I tried crocheting but I get nervous tension which makes me want to move/do something quick/fast rather than slow.
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 209
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:13:47 PM »
Hi Isa....

I have no tricks to really share other than going to the restroom and splashing water on your face or putting a cool wet cloth on your neck if it gets bad....you said you work at a fitness club for women.....will they allow you to work out as well?  My suggestion would be if you feel an episode of anxiety coming on, would they let you jump on the treadmill while reading or listening to an audio book for distraction?  Just a thought!  Hope you get find something to help ease the panic!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:38:48 AM »
I am allowed to work out, but I feel uncomfortable doing so. I work at a Curves location, there is no treadmill just a circle of machines with recovery boards. I am responsible for the phone and such, so I need to stay near the desk most of the time to handle incoming calls/walk ins that sort of thing. There is only one employee at a time working, so I can't take an official break from everything, but there are times when I'm by myself for 30-60 minutes, so it's a bit of a rock and a hard place. I have been retreating to the back room/bathroom very often, but the problem is, I am finding I do that too frequently. I feel like people are beginning to wonder just what on Earth I'm doing back there, so I'm trying to figure out something I can do to help me feel more comfortable while the panic or anxiety passes. It's quite a predicament  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 209
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:38:05 AM »
Just another thought, but what about an iPod or something similar to listen to relaxation tapes and breathing tapes through headphones when the panic or anxiety hits you hard?  That way you can stay at your desk, continue to greet customers and answer phones??
Bookmark and Share

Offline lookingforadvice2014

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
Sometimes I go for a walk around the building and do deep breathing in and out to the count of five.  I also would go get a cool paper towel and wipe the back of my neck. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 11:56:13 PM »
Those are some good ideas, but I do have some obstacles with them. I don't own an ipod, and the location plays music and also a track where a lady tells the people who are exercising when to move. It's quite upbeat and loud, so at least when ladies are there I might not be able to concentrate on a more meditative music. But when I'm by myself that might help if I can get an ipod or something.

Unfortunately I can't go out and talk a walk, but I do walk to the door and take a breath of the cold air, that seems to help :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: