Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: colon cancer fears - should I ask for colonoscopy?  (Read 268 times)

Offline olethros

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
colon cancer fears - should I ask for colonoscopy?
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:34:35 PM »
Back in February I woke up in the middle of the night with a burning pain above my belly button. Instantly I was convinced it was cancer. I was 29 at the time (now 30). For the following month or two I had diarrhea, cramps, etc. Twice I think I noticed a small amount of blood on the stool (maybe a cm). Although, even now, on occasion feel a burning or itchy sensation down there, but that actually made me feel better about the blood I had seen before because I know that's a sign of hemorrhoids or fissures, but I don't remember specifically at the time. Anyway, I also began to lose weight - I lost around 10-12lbs during that time. I was positive it was colon cancer. The first doc didn't really pay attention but the second doc sent me for a round of tests: blood, urine, stool sample, along with endoscopy and abdominal ultrasound. All of these were fine except a small gallbladder polyp which is common. They didn't do a colonoscopy though. For a good while I didn't worry - I figured if things were off they'd investigate further, and since nothing was, I shouldn't worry. And now, nearly a year later, my symptoms are much better. Though I'm still not totally regular and the urge to go isn't as strong as it was before the troubles, I've not seen blood, I gained all the weight back, and haven't had that pain again. Especially since I began taking a probiotic things have gotten much better - very well formed stools and more regular, which I kind of doubt would help much if it were cancer.

But I'm still struggling with the nagging worry of not having had a colonscopy. I'm wondering if I need to go to the doc and ask for one, or if I should accept that this is my HA speaking and should trust the docs and let it go. I don't want to waste the money and time to do it if I really don't need it, nor I do I want to feed my HA and give a crutch for my anxiety, but I also don't want to go through 2014 with the same worries as 2013. Any thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: colon cancer fears - should I ask for colonoscopy?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:48:41 PM »
I wouldn't ask for one. If you had cancer they would have seen something on all those tests they do. And yes, hemmeroids and fissures can cause some bleeding. As long as it is not regular I wouldn't worry. Itching/burning after a BM is quite normal and happens when the sensitive skin around your anus doesn't agree with something you ate. Not a sign of cancer. I will bet you don't have it.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, HA, BPD. LPR and peptic ulcer. Possible fibro.

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
Don't read my posts  :laugh3:
Teasing, aside. I honestly don't think you need one. Heck, i wasn't even going to get my follow up done and the doctor suggested it. Something would have been seen in your ultrasound. If your symptoms come back or you start to see more blood, then ask for one.
Or you can lie to your doctor and tell him you see tons of blood and he will send you for a colonoscopy asap and you won't be able to eat while everyone around you eats pizza or sushi and you suffer with the squirts all night.  :laugh3: teasing again of course.
Bookmark and Share

Offline olethros

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
Haha, Brick! Probably not a bad idea ... actually I try not to spend a ton of time here for that reason, because if I read the posts all the time my HA will go nuts. So thankful to have this board though when my HA does kick up. :) As for pizza - it's more expensive than sushi here! Probably a good thing - I'm pretty sure sushi is better for you :)

Jaz thanks for your thoughts as well. I try to remind myself of that. I mean I know the gold standard is the colonoscopy but I think surely something would have been off that would have warranted more investigation and my symptoms would not have gotten better had the cause been cancer...

I really appreciate the thoughts guys :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »
That's why i don't read many posts. I start worrying. But then again I have had chest x ray, brain mri, colonoscopy, female tests. I can't stand sushi and thankfully cause it is pretty pricey here.

By the way i looked up some things about other tests for colon cancer. Although they can't show the polyp like a colonoscopy does it will show something is there. So good news for you :) thinking of you friend.
Bookmark and Share

Offline olethros

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:27:45 PM »
Thanks for doing that Brick! I always have to be careful about searches, as I'm sure you understand so appreciate you doing that on my behalf!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »
At age 30, your risk of colon cancer is remote. If the doctor thought you needed one, than he would have ordered it.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
Marc, i just posted about my follow up colonoscopy. I had one last year. Well yesterday i saw a couple drops of blood pen point size on my stool. What are the chances that this is colon cancer?
Bookmark and Share

Offline olethros

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »
At age 30, your risk of colon cancer is remote. If the doctor thought you needed one, than he would have ordered it.

Thanks Marc ... I know colon cancer at 30 is extremely uncommon. I know I should trust the doctors too. Some days it's just tough ... I guess I just feel like my body should work like it always has, but I also know as we get older, our bodies change. For some reason I've attached change to cancer in my mind though...  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: