Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What do you think is worse?  (Read 301 times)

Offline kathmjon

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What do you think is worse?
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
Just wondering what other people think.....which is worse, anxiety or depression or both? I find that although the two tend to go hand in hand, you can take a pill to take the edge off anxiety but depresion is scary because it lingers  :( :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline MMMA3410

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What do you think is worse?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:55:16 AM »
I have gone through a period of Major Depression (still have it but can cope a lot better) and now am going through chronic anxiety. At the moment I feel anxiety is 100x worse. This is just my opinion. When I was depressed I could still function somewhat and concentrate. I did not fear a whole ton. Also, I went through intensive therapy to help with depression and medication. Now that I have anxiety I have constant irrational fears. They feel so real and just took over my entire life. It has been a lot more difficult changing my thought pattern now than it did when I was depressed. I am constantly stuck in my own head and it is a struggle every day. I feel you have a better selection of depression medication that work a lot better. You are more limited on anxiety medication because for me I did not want to take benzos daily because your body gets addicted very easily and withdrawal is dangerous (I was taking them as needed when my anxiety wasn't so bad) so I am stuck with a medication and anti depressant that can take up to 4-6 weeks to work. This is just how I feel about my particular situation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kathmjon

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »
You could be talking about me! I am currently suffering with major depression and chronic anxiety and suffer terrible with my thoughts....get so frightened of them.  Been off sick for the last 7 mths and I am still trying to find an add on medication that helps.  I have suffered with depression for over 20 years on and off and my anxiety prevents me going on holiday etc.  I wish you well....you are not alone x
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:31:32 PM »
Hi, for me anxiety is far worse than depression. Let me clarify though, I have not suffered with major depression, only mild/moderate. In my worst state of anxiety I have told myself that I would rather be depressed. I prefer the calm state of depression over the fearful, nervous, panic of anxiety. At this moment I am in more of a mild depression, and my anxiety has dwindled quite a bit. What I think has helped it dwindle is that I have been facing my fears head on. Going to parties despite being apprehensive about going has been a major help in lessening the fear. Ever since I made it over that hurdle I have been feeling just about 'normal'. I've been going out to very busy stores without a twinge of panic---not even a palpitation to speak of.

I still have work to do on this anxiety though----don't want to say I'm cured, and jinx it  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bunsen112

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 11:46:30 PM »
I've had chronic GAD most of my life, and mild-to-moderate depression on and off. They're both lousy, but the anxiety is worse for me. At least when I'm  "just" depressed, I feel rational and can actually concentrate on things I have to take care of. When my anxiety is in high gear, my concentration evaporates and my thoughts get disconnected from what's actually happening (or not happening).

I suspect a lot of folks on AZ suffer from both anxiety and depression to varying degrees at different times. And a lot of us have probably asked the same question you're asking. It would be lovely if none of us ever had to think about which condition we'd rather have!

I hope you can take some comfort in knowing you're not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 01:26:16 AM »
I'd have to agree with the above, I'd rather than depression than anxiety. My panic attacks make me think I'm actually dying, and depression just makes me very sad and wishing to be alone, avoiding people. Anxiety and fear from even going to the store is a lot harder to deal with, depression didn't prevent me from actually living life whereas anxiety makes me fearful to do most anything outside of my house. It's difficult to deal with either of those by themselves, but I feel I was better off living with depression the past few years than now when I have anxiety and panic to go along with it. I don't personally like medication, the ones I had for anxiety made me feel a little off or fuzzy, so I stopped them and am going therapy alone now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline knittykitty

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 06:05:30 AM »
My sister has had a few bouts of depression where she cannot sleep (or goes to bed only to wake up a hour later in an awful state), where she spends her days crying or wandering in a daze.

I am the full time bread winner in this house, and I have GAD, but I manage to hold down a job, and I don't think I could do it with depression. Her family knew she had it and it impacted everyone, I hope my GAD doesn't have the same impact - at least I hope I've caught it and am dealing with it before it has too much more impact.

Bookmark and Share

Offline geo_eccentric

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »
I'm surprised how one-sided this poll is. I'm actually the opposite of most people above me. I get the two hand in hand sometimes, but I'd say depression is worse for me. Even when I'm anxious, I still feel there are things in life which hold my interest and give me something else to focus on. When I am depressed, I sometimes struggle to even get myself out of bed in the morning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline knittykitty

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
I agree with you goe-eccentric - I was kind of trying not to rate and compare the two though, seems the lesser of two evils!  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
It may just be a personal thing...probably depends on the severity of either condition. I suppose if a person's depression was worse than their anxiety they might prefer the anxiety. But, for me since my depression had never gone beyond mild/moderate and my anxiety was over the top at times, I'd still have to pick anxiety as the worst :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bunsen112

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:26:58 AM »
@geo_eccentric: I didn't mean to minimize the real, often debilitating pain of depression. It really does depend on which is worse for the person. For me, periods of "just" depression have been mild and also CALM, which has definitely NOT been the case when my anxiety is bad.

But anxiety is my major axis; depression is a minor axis. I'm sure I would feel differently if the axes were reversed.

FWIW, I'll bet this question would be a good, quick way of finding out which condition is more serious for any given person!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: