Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety triggered by reading about other people's anxiety  (Read 164 times)

Offline jbirdy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety triggered by reading about other people's anxiety
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:31:44 AM »
Hey guys!
So this website has helped me quite a bit so far. There is only one problem: when I am reading other posts on here I find that when I hear about certain things that other people are anxious about I tend to become afraid of that thing also for awhile. For example, today when I was surfing the posts I found something about someone being afraid of unconsciously murdering other people and now I can't sleep because I am afraid of that too. These things usually go away fast but I'm not sure how I can read people's fears and not become afraid of them myself. Its not everything I read just certain little things trigger it like reading about hallucinations, going crazy or not being in control of one's self, weird body symptoms, and OCD problems. Any tips on surfing this website or anyone else experience this?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety triggered by reading about other people's anxiety
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:35:49 AM »
Be selective in what you read. You are not the only person who would have this problem. I would imagine most people with health anxiety read posts and imagine they will get what they are reading about. I know one or two who actually felt better not reading any other posts at all. They continued posting. Just stopped reading other people's posts because it was making them feel worse. Maybe just be a poster. If you have a problem. If you have no problems on any given day just stay off the forum. More to avoid what you are saying happens to you. But I do know it happens to others too. They have told me in the past.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline knittykitty

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety triggered by reading about other people's anxiety
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »
Yes, I know what you're saying, I'm new here but have only read a select few topics, in the GAD and only 1 or 2 other sections. I don't want to cultivate any more anxiety than I already have as I have plenty thanks  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: