Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Need to talk - cardiophobia  (Read 117 times)

Offline ComeDownToMe

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need to talk - cardiophobia
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm glad to have found this forum and to see others suffering with the same crippling anxiety.  I never had any cardiac issues up until I turned 21 (24 now).  At the time, I was under extreme amounts of stress.  My father's health had started failing and I had to witness him suffer through his own cardiac issues before he finally succumbed to them. 

Around that time, I started noticing skipped beats myself.  Considering what was going on with my father (he was having episodes of syncope due to ventricular tachycardia that eventually caused him to arrest), I went running to his cardiologist for a check up.  An EKG and echo later, I was told that I have Mitral Valve Prolapse.  I was offered Verapamil but I am always hesitant to take medications so I didn't.  Instead, I opted for lifestyle changes....kicked the caffeine habit, limited alcohol, ate right, and exercised.

For the past two years I have felt great despite undergoing massive amounts of stress.  I lost my father, went back to school, got married, and spent the first year of our marriage dealing with severe financial struggles.  None of that seemed to phase me.

Fast forward to August of this year, the stress was finally over.  I had finished school and landed a job that I absolutely adore.  We relocated and are no longer struggling for money.

About a month or so ago, I began having palpitations again, along with chest pain, dizziness, and shortness of breath.  I decided it was time to head back to the cardiologist just for a check up.  Blood work, echo, EKG, and Holter monitor all were okay with the exception of the MVP. 

I don't understand why these episodes are suddenly flaring up again and I am so over dealing with the constant anxiety that something is wrong with me. 

I'm not sure what I really expect from posting this but it is nice to know that I'm not alone. 
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need to talk - cardiophobia
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:42:25 AM »
Heck, we get members who actually make posts saying they are thinking they are having a heart attack. We try to explain it would be impossible to be having a heart attack and making a post on a forum at the same time. So you are far from alone with your heart worries. Only you seem more level headed about it. You have had your tests done. They have all come back negative. Which is a good thing. The past can catch up with us. Things we thought were gone away. All it can take is a slight twinge. The mind picks up on it. Then we get these thoughts. But remember how great you were doing. You do all that once again. This is just a setback. They can happen from time to time. Don't let it get in on top of you. Don't feed the fear. Let it go and you will be back to your old good self once again.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: