Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Is it possible for your liver to hurt?  (Read 197 times)

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Is it possible for your liver to hurt?
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »
I know it's probably just me being hyper aware to every little twinge my body makes because of my anxiety... but I'm still concerned. Can your liver actually hurt?

I'm leaning toward this being something muscular related and possibly having to do with my posture - or it being nothing because it comes and goes very quickly and hurts only for a few seconds at a time a couple times a day. I also cannot recreate the pain at all... but since liver worries are my thing and it's right in that area, I'm still a little scared.

I've heard that your liver only hurts when it swells and pushes on nerves and other things... but I think that would be more frequent/constant pain if that were the case, right? I had an ultrasound done a few weeks ago on my right upper quadrant for pain in the ER, and they measured my liver, so I'm sure if it was enlarged and possibly causing my pain, they would have mentioned it... right?
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline stephtronic

Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it possible for your liver to hurt?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
I also have an area that kind of sticks out more on the right side around the liver area. It's like my muscle feels more firm over there and isn't distributed evenly on both sides of my body... and my anxiety keeps telling me that it's because my liver is swollen and pushing up on my muscle/skin. It's not hugely noticeable, but it is there. I don't know if that's even possible, though.

Even if it is possible, if it was swelling enough to cause part of my body to bulge a little bit, that's something that would have shown up on the U/S too, right? They looked all over my right upper quadrant... if it was swelling that much, it'd have been pushing on other organs and be obvious right? Or could this develop quickly over a few weeks?

I'm freaking myself out again.  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:01:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure you would be hunched over in horrible pain if your liver was enlarged and swollen. I don't think the actual liver causes pain, but stomach issues like gas or muscular strain or posture may cause you to think your liver. Plus, I'm sure focusing on it is playing on your psyche.

Plus I really doubt something would "grow" in a few weeks time and be causing symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »
Steph - I too have had liver worries/issues off and on for almost the past year. In January I had an ultrasound which showed a mildly fatty liver. However, my liver was not enlarged and I had no elevated liver enzymes. I then pushed for a CT scan of my abdomen and everything was totally normal. The last time I had bloodworm was in July and my liver enzymes were still totally normal. In July-Sept I had no twinges of pain near my liver and in October they started up again. I too feel like it's swollen and harder on the right side of my ribcage. It just feels like more is in there and like it sticks out more although my husband says it looks and feels normal. I still can't get liver worries out of my head because I get these twinges in the liver area each day off and on. I'm obsessed with checking the color of my stools (which aren't always consistent because I have IBS) and looking for signs of jaundice. I have an appointment with my doc for January 6th.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline stephtronic

Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
Well, it's good to know that I'm not alone, but I'm sorry you're going through the worrying too!

Let me know how the doc appointment goes!

It seems like the pain is not so much "pain" as it is discomfort... and I'm really starting to think it's definitely my posture doing it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: