Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Is this still anxiety or something more??  (Read 257 times)

Offline perc19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this still anxiety or something more??
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »
Hello,

I have put a couple of posts up in the past 2 months due to sharp head pains, worries of  brain tumour or other serious illness disease worries, I have been on amitryptiline which seemed to help and so far the headaches have got less severe. I have gone through tingles on scalp down back of head and neck, alongwith nausea and the feeling of sheer panic - fast heartrate, dry mouth, nausea etc.

But now I have another symptom that I wonder if I should go back to the doctor. I seem to have the same sensation of sharp pain in head but without the pain? Doesn't make sense really. But I almost feel like I have been poked, zapped or squeezed in brain, but there was no pain on this occasion, my stomach instantly churned, my heart rate increased and I felt sick. This did pass but scared me that this is another symptom. 

Please help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this still anxiety or something more??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »
Its still anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »
I've had a tension type squeezing feeling with non painful stabbing type pains for about 4 weeks now without much relief with medication. I've also had neck and shoulder blade ache with nausea. I'm terrified it's a brain tumour and I've never had such headaches before, then again I've never been anxious this bad! I've been started on propranolol for high bp due to anxiety which has calmed me physically in the sense of fast heart and shaking but mentally I'm thinking the worst. I have an MRI on the 7th jan so will wait and see. I'm 99% sure it's anxiety and not a tumour but that 1% is terrifying me right now. What I tell myself is that tumours are very rare, there would surely be more symptoms I.e seizures, vision problems etc and lots of us anxious types have these symptoms and we can't all have tumours right?! Sending you positive vibes!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 03:23:18 AM »
Thank you - sending you positive vibes too, I hope everything is ok.

I am however wondering if I should push for an MRI? But my 4 visits to the doctor all told me it was anxiety, one offered to send me to a neurologist to ease my mind as he felt that is the only thing that would help. But I haven't pushed for it as I'm hoping he is right.

I have been doing so well, I still worry at some point in the day that I am going to collapse or die or something - I also have 2 young children which makes it worse, but I certainly don't think of it constantly like I was and I feel so much calmer than I was 2 months ago, nothing really untoward apart from bad cold and blocked sinuses over the last 2 weeks with orangey snot and an overflow of mucus - which did worry me on Christmas Eve, but then as soon as that eases I get this weird feeling in my brain yesterday, that I can't work out whether it was my panic because of the feeling in my brain or whether the nausea and heart rate was a symptom with the head feeling, trouble is now I'm back on google and back panicking and over thinking everything!

Sorry for long post, please help
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »
Does anyone know or would recommend CBT??

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »
Just had another couple of either spasms, pokes, twinges in my head again followed by panic sensations on the other side of my head, but currently no pain.

What do I do? Should I go back to doctor or just think of it as anxiety? My husband thinks I'm mad!!!!!!!

I am going mad
Bookmark and Share

Offline Suz66

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »
You're not going mad, although panic and anxiety disorders certainly can make you feel that way. I just posted the thread "sick and tired", so I know how you feel. Regardless how many tests I have that come back negative, I'm still worried about things not being right. My doctor has been very patient with me. These anxiety symptoms always seem to manifest themselves differently, which only seems to enhance our thoughts that something new is wrong, when in actuality, it's only anxiety.

Have you tried yoga, meditation, or focusing on any other activity to help you get your mind off of the symptoms? That's the only thing I've felt keeps me semi-sane. If you can focus on something else you enjoy on a daily basis, your focus will be shifted away from your symptoms, and you'll realize they lessen when they're not being paid attention to....at least that's what I've experienced. I'm convinced that the more we google our symptoms, the more we pay attention to them and focus on them, the more they show up and try to drive us crazy.

I feel for you, and know exactly how you're feeling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 04:59:31 AM »
Thank you  - your comments have made me feel better.

But I still have this doubt in my mind that these twinges, zaps, spasms or whatever they are are really something serious as I just cannot grasp that these sorts of feelings in my brain are just because of anxiety! I have suffered with anxiety for a while and unfortunately it is in my genes.

But what if it really is something like a brain tumor and I am just saying oh its anxiety! And ignoring some serious signs?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 05:57:13 AM »
Hiya :) I am going through cbt I'm not on meds they didn't help me so the way I'm getting help is through therapy. I strongly recommend it I've been seeing my therapist since September I would go from thinking I have a brain tumour to cervical cancer, breast cancer, heart attack you name it in days and 'touch wood' I'm reducing the fears and controlling them. These sensations you feel are due to anxiety you will not believe it and try symptom check and still convince yourself it's a brain tumour or cancer or some serious illness but u need to think how likely is it? I now rationalise and have learnt to think of the more likely possibility instead of jumping to the worst case scenario. I posted something similar in another post anxiety is very draining your body is constantly working maybe not physically but mentally and it is tiring. You will get aches and pains from this exhaustion. I was seeking reassurance all the time and eventually I knew the answer myself... My worst enemy still is google I currently have a lump in my mouth which is proberly my wisdom tooth starting to drop but google says it could be a cyst, absess, oral cancer but what is the likelihood it is that? Quite slim. My therapist always says he does not want me to not visit a doctor if I have something wrong like eg if I had some lump which lasted more than a week or 2 it's wise to check it. It's a big topic I could write a essay lol but it does get easier Ive nearly suffered with health anxiety for a year and from where I started I've made big progress. Hope you feel better soon try occupy your mind doing something else
Bookmark and Share

Tags: