Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: overwhelmed with 'healthy' eating  (Read 176 times)

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
overwhelmed with 'healthy' eating
« on: December 27, 2013, 09:04:56 PM »
Does anyone else ever feel overwhelmed with eating? I think I get anxious about eating...well, when I was in my twenties I became a vegetarian, but I had no knowledge of how to eat to get the right amount of calories etc., this was back in the mid 1990's when fat-free was the rage, and Susan Powter was seen left and right screaming 'Stop The Insanity!'. I think that era really messed people up as far as eating goes. As a result of my strict vegetarian diet I unfortunately 'almost' had an eating disorder. I was so hungry at times that I would totally binge out, but never purged, that's why I call it an 'almost' eating disorder. Well, any way those years were the toughest years of my life because I spiraled out of control with the binging and found it difficult to stop. Every time I would do it the guilt was terrible and I'd swear I'd never do it again, but I always did it again. Then one day I decided that what I was doing was absolutely crazy, I was about 27 years old, and by the grace of God I stopped doing it.

Fast forward to today....when my anxiety got to it's highest, during a very stressful time in my life, I lost a couple of pounds. During a routine check-up my doctor advised me to gain about 5 pounds, and I saw the dietician at her office. The dietician was pretty happy with how healthfully I eat, she just wanted me to eat more. Which I did, and gained about 3-4 pounds, but then when my Mom passed away all that hard work went to pot.

Anyway, I find myself very unsure when it comes to eating. I do eat healthy, but what I am unsure about is, how healthy is too healthy, and is it ok to eat dessert every night? How often is it ok to eat foods that are considered unhealthy?

Maybe this is not the right place to ask these questions, but I had a counselor once tell me eating disorders are anxiety driven. I'm sure that's what was going on with me back then. It probably started from my wanting to be perfect, and when I could not achieve perfection, the anxiety increased. And another part of it was wanting to control something since my life was out of control.

Anyway, any advice at all will be greatly appreciated. Thank You! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: overwhelmed with 'healthy' eating
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:42:31 AM »
I will give you a classic story. My own mother. Thinking she was doing all the right things as far as food was concerned. Eating what they tell you that you should be eating as a rule. She went to have simple blood work done. Her iron was low. She was told she was not eating enough red meat. Not eating enough of this and not eating enough of that. The sort of things she was avoiding eating because those were the things they told you that were bad for you. Now here was a doctor telling her to eat all those things. I have no doubt telling you that she was confused. To be honest you read things every so often. Cheese is a good example. Once upon a time it was great for you. Give it to your kids with their lunch for school. It will be great for them. Forward a few years and cheese was no bad for you if you ate too much of it. So now it was don't be feeding it to your kids. It can cause this and it can cause that. They seem to change their minds on certain products every so often. Let's be honest, they are only going on what they read too in the doctor's offices. New article comes out and the doctor takes note of it. So I would question if they ever really knew. They change their minds so often. Eat what you feel you like to eat. I seriously don't think there is a right and a wrong answer.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
I ended up concocting my own diet book precisely because of the contradictions out there. Turned out to be interesting and fun. Am now mostly vegetarian, eat what I like, avoid too much sugar, salt, white flour products. Like fruit and vegetables, some dairy, some fish. What I like best are a variety of healthy soups. Seems everything turns into soup. And chocolate shows up now and then for dessert.

It is interesting to become your own nutritionist, always keeping an open mind. Staying well hydrated is important too. One of my chapters is "A Commitment to Drinking." Not the kind folks like in bars, but boring stuff like tea or flavored carbonated water, or plain water. Let us know how you like your nutrition adventure.
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »
Cuchulan, wonderful advice! yes, the way nutritional info constantly changes, that is one of the reasons I get confused. Every now and then on television they will have a story on people who are over 100 years old, and they will ask them, 'what is your secret to living such a long life?', the person will say, 'bacon for breakfast' or 'donuts as a snack'. So really, I suppose if it's edible anything goes, but in moderation for sure.

Tina, I am a soup lover myself--just made a chicken minestrone the other day as it was only 21 degerees where I am. I like the idea of coming up with your own diet that works for you. I think I get stuck trying to do eat in a way that is 'by the book' so to say, but I'm not sure there is a cookie cutter way of eating. Variety is a good thing when it comes to eating, and I probably need to just take the fear out of it and eat with a reasonable mind.

Thank You guys :)
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »
I suggest the "add -in" method of healthier eating. Which means you focus on incorporating more fruits, veggies, water, and healthy proteins, yet you don't worry too much about "cutting out" unhealthy stuff. You'll naturally eat less of them due to eating more of the good stuff in most cases, but hopefully makes you feel less obsessive about the task of eating. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: