Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Help me live my life!  (Read 145 times)

Offline anxietyqueen1234

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Help me live my life!
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
For a couple years now, I have had a fear of anything medical-related. I refuse to even step foot in a doctors office. Last year, I watched a live knee surgery via webcam in class and passed out as soon as the IV was given to the patient. I just get really light-headed and pass out. This problem has now transferred over to my driving. Whenever I pass by an accident, ambulance, or even a hospital, I immediately get light-headed and feel as if I am going to pass out. I am nervous that one day I will actually pass out behind the wheel.

I have never driven on a highway because I am nervous that something will happen and I will become lightheaded and pass out. It's easy to pull over when you're on a main road, but a highway not so much.

I could get myself nervous about anything-doesn't even have to be medical related- and my heart will begin to race and I'll feel as if I'm going to faint. I've never confronted a doctor about it, but I feel like it sounds like I have anxiety problems.

What do you guys think?
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help me live my life!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:08:46 PM »
Hi AQ...  There are certainly many people that have fears related to anything to do with the health care field.  Lots of individuals have what is know as "white coat" hypertension.  The "white coat" refers to the jackets/lab coats that doctors notoriously wear.  Once they see a doctor in that white coat, their blood pressure shoots right through the roof.  Mine does this.  When I was a child, I hated to see a hospital.  To me hospitals meant severe illness and death.  It turned out that my career was in the health care field, and I spent decades working in hospitals.  I don't think that there is any doubt that you have a fear/phobia/anxiety in this area.  I would recommend making an appointment to see a therapist.  I will be seeing a therapist the end of January, to begin cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), to work on my anxiety/panic attacks.  I want to gather as many tools as I can to keep my anxiety under control.  The best to you, AQ!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share