Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My Sertraline journey.  (Read 3181 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 125
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: My Sertraline journey.
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:33 PM »
I will talk to my psychiatrist about it and see if he thinks I should up my dosage to help with my monthly hormone-related anxiety.

If you were on a higher dose I'd be suggesting you take benzodiazepines for the few days a month your anxiety is going to peak, but as you're only at 50mg/day of Zoloft it might be wise to go up to 75mg/day to give you a bit of a buffer against life's random stresses.

It took 44 days before I finally got my period.

You should discuss this with your psychiatrist, or gynecologist. It is not uncommon for SSRIs to delay ovulation by a few days, typically from 28 to 32-34 days, but 44 days could be problematic, though I don't know if it is. As with most guys, the female plumbing system is beyond my understanding.  :-*

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all suggestions are general in nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
Week 6 of Sertraline at 50 mg. My anxiety was starting to increase again especially before my period and during my period. It seems to have settled again but I saw my psychiatrist today and he agreed that going up to 75 mg would probably help with any breakthrough anxiety that I get still. He told me that I should titrate by taking 75 mg twice a week and 50 mg the rest of the days for a few weeks and then increase the number of days a week I take the 75 mg. I have never heard about this method of titration before. Is this common?

I spoke to a nurse at my gynecologist's office about my long menstrual cycles since starting the Sertraline and she said it wasn't likely that the medication caused it. Looking back at my calendar I see that earlier last year I had a very long cycle as well, so it could just be random. She and my psychiatrist said that I could just keep an eye on it.

My sleep has returned to almost normal. I get about 6-7 hours a night and sometimes I get 8 hours! I definitely feel like the Sertraline is helping me a lot. I don't think I've had one panic attack in weeks and my anxiety levels throughout the day are at least 60% improved.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 125
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
He told me that I should titrate by taking 75 mg twice a week and 50 mg the rest of the days for a few weeks and then increase the number of days a week I take the 75 mg. I have never heard about this method of titration before. Is this common?

No, it isn't common. I believe it is counterproductive as it sets up a yo-yo effect as you take and don't take the extra 25mg. Far better, IMHO, to go up by only 12.5mg for a week and then the full 25mg.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all suggestions are general in nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
I agree, Ian. I thought it sounded weird too. I am going to go up by 12.5 mg for a week or so and then up to 25 mg. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: