Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: My Sertraline journey.  (Read 1790 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: My Sertraline journey.
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »
Should the Sertraline be helping my anxiety by now or am I being impatient? I have felt no improvement at all.

It can take 3-12 weeks for antidepressants to begin working, so it is too early to tell.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 08:44:34 PM »
Thank you again, Ian. I will try to be patient.
Bookmark and Share

Offline YoloGirl31

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »
When i first started on sertraline, I had switched from Paxil. I think all ssri meds increase anxiety for a while before your body can adjust. My doctor prescribed me Xanax every time I started a new ssri because of this. Don't be afraid to take your Xanax daily for a while in the beginning especially if you tend to have anxiety around the same time of day. The Xanax can help mask the initial nasty side effects sertraline, and after a week try to reduce your Xanax a pill a day or in my case I would take a half pill less and adjust accordingly to how your anxiety is. As for appetite, I eat a lot, I can't recall really losing appetite, but most symptoms tend to decrease with time. The body is an amazing vessel that can maneuver and adapt to much more than we can imagine, so much so that medical science still has many mysteries about the human body. Best of luck, hang in there, this too shall pass!  ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 09:35:03 PM »
It definitely takes time for SSRIs to start working, so patience is definitely key. Have you considered speaking with a therapist in the meantime? A therapist can help you learn skills for dealing with your anxiety in addition to the medication.

I am on Zoloft, and it works perfectly for me, and it always has. It does wonders for my anxiety. I will mention, though, that my daily dosage is 200 mg, so there is quite a difference in how much we're taking.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 02:55:50 PM »
Yologirl, thank you for sharing your experience. I have thankfully gotten over the start up anxiety hump and no longer need the Xanax. You are right, the body is an amazing vessel. I was sure the side effects would last forever and here I am not too long after posting my first few posts and I am feeling so much better!

stephtronic, I haven't sought therapy yet as I can't afford it. I will in the future though. Also, I am so glad that Zoloft works for your anxiety. That is great to hear. I know I may need to increase my dose at some point, and I am definitely not against that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
So I am now on my fourth week of Sertraline at 50mg and I can definitely say I've noticed a big improvement. Last week I still felt awful, but then overnight it seems I got better. My anxiety is extremely low or not there at all. Yesterday I had some anxiety, but it was under control the entire time. I even went grocery shopping by myself a couple of times in the past week!

I am still sleeping pretty poorly, but it doesn't seem to affect me during the day. I am optimistic!
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 03:45:50 PM »
very helpful to read someone else's journey on Zoloft. I just started and am on my 5th day of 12mg. Its been a rough day as my anxiety has jumped a bit this morning and afternoon. Look forward to further posts on how it is working for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 04:07:04 PM »
somaj, I had a really rough start too. The first few weeks were pretty brutal. Definitely stick with it. Hopefully you'll notice the improvements that I have in a few weeks too. Best of luck to you!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »
Glad to hear it's helping!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
Week five of Sertraline at 50 mg. My anxiety has been so good lately that I have been able to go out shopping a few times and did not experience panic attacks in the stores. I haven't had an anxiety-free shopping experience in over 5 years. I feel so liberated!

I noticed a couple of days ago that my anxiety was beginning to re-emerge. Not horribly, but it has been there. Then today I got my period, so that explains the breakthrough anxiety. I will talk to my psychiatrist about it and see if he thinks I should up my dosage to help with my monthly hormone-related anxiety.

Also, the Sertraline is definitely changing my menstrual cycle. It took 44 days before I finally got my period. I usually have 29 day cycles. I don't mind this though, as no woman likes getting their period!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:33 PM »
I will talk to my psychiatrist about it and see if he thinks I should up my dosage to help with my monthly hormone-related anxiety.

If you were on a higher dose I'd be suggesting you take benzodiazepines for the few days a month your anxiety is going to peak, but as you're only at 50mg/day of Zoloft it might be wise to go up to 75mg/day to give you a bit of a buffer against life's random stresses.

It took 44 days before I finally got my period.

You should discuss this with your psychiatrist, or gynecologist. It is not uncommon for SSRIs to delay ovulation by a few days, typically from 28 to 32-34 days, but 44 days could be problematic, though I don't know if it is. As with most guys, the female plumbing system is beyond my understanding.  :-*

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
Week 6 of Sertraline at 50 mg. My anxiety was starting to increase again especially before my period and during my period. It seems to have settled again but I saw my psychiatrist today and he agreed that going up to 75 mg would probably help with any breakthrough anxiety that I get still. He told me that I should titrate by taking 75 mg twice a week and 50 mg the rest of the days for a few weeks and then increase the number of days a week I take the 75 mg. I have never heard about this method of titration before. Is this common?

I spoke to a nurse at my gynecologist's office about my long menstrual cycles since starting the Sertraline and she said it wasn't likely that the medication caused it. Looking back at my calendar I see that earlier last year I had a very long cycle as well, so it could just be random. She and my psychiatrist said that I could just keep an eye on it.

My sleep has returned to almost normal. I get about 6-7 hours a night and sometimes I get 8 hours! I definitely feel like the Sertraline is helping me a lot. I don't think I've had one panic attack in weeks and my anxiety levels throughout the day are at least 60% improved.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
He told me that I should titrate by taking 75 mg twice a week and 50 mg the rest of the days for a few weeks and then increase the number of days a week I take the 75 mg. I have never heard about this method of titration before. Is this common?

No, it isn't common. I believe it is counterproductive as it sets up a yo-yo effect as you take and don't take the extra 25mg. Far better, IMHO, to go up by only 12.5mg for a week and then the full 25mg.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
I agree, Ian. I thought it sounded weird too. I am going to go up by 12.5 mg for a week or so and then up to 25 mg. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: