Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My Sertraline journey.  (Read 2782 times)

Online insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: My Sertraline journey.
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:33 PM »
I will talk to my psychiatrist about it and see if he thinks I should up my dosage to help with my monthly hormone-related anxiety.

If you were on a higher dose I'd be suggesting you take benzodiazepines for the few days a month your anxiety is going to peak, but as you're only at 50mg/day of Zoloft it might be wise to go up to 75mg/day to give you a bit of a buffer against life's random stresses.

It took 44 days before I finally got my period.

You should discuss this with your psychiatrist, or gynecologist. It is not uncommon for SSRIs to delay ovulation by a few days, typically from 28 to 32-34 days, but 44 days could be problematic, though I don't know if it is. As with most guys, the female plumbing system is beyond my understanding.  :-*

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
Week 6 of Sertraline at 50 mg. My anxiety was starting to increase again especially before my period and during my period. It seems to have settled again but I saw my psychiatrist today and he agreed that going up to 75 mg would probably help with any breakthrough anxiety that I get still. He told me that I should titrate by taking 75 mg twice a week and 50 mg the rest of the days for a few weeks and then increase the number of days a week I take the 75 mg. I have never heard about this method of titration before. Is this common?

I spoke to a nurse at my gynecologist's office about my long menstrual cycles since starting the Sertraline and she said it wasn't likely that the medication caused it. Looking back at my calendar I see that earlier last year I had a very long cycle as well, so it could just be random. She and my psychiatrist said that I could just keep an eye on it.

My sleep has returned to almost normal. I get about 6-7 hours a night and sometimes I get 8 hours! I definitely feel like the Sertraline is helping me a lot. I don't think I've had one panic attack in weeks and my anxiety levels throughout the day are at least 60% improved.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
He told me that I should titrate by taking 75 mg twice a week and 50 mg the rest of the days for a few weeks and then increase the number of days a week I take the 75 mg. I have never heard about this method of titration before. Is this common?

No, it isn't common. I believe it is counterproductive as it sets up a yo-yo effect as you take and don't take the extra 25mg. Far better, IMHO, to go up by only 12.5mg for a week and then the full 25mg.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
I agree, Ian. I thought it sounded weird too. I am going to go up by 12.5 mg for a week or so and then up to 25 mg. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything