Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: My Sertraline journey.  (Read 1478 times)

Online bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: My Sertraline journey.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
Thank you, AncientMelody!

Katiesue, how long have you been on the Zoloft? Did your insomnia begin with the Zoloft or did you have issues with it before. I will definitely ask my psych about that medication. It sounds great!
Bookmark and Share

Online bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 10:38:12 AM »
Yesterday I was virtually anxiety free all day long!

Last night I slept a bit better than previous nights but I did have some anxiety attacks when I woke at 4:30am. I have also had loose stools again which I am guessing is because I upped the Sertraline 4 days ago. I hope that's why and that it goes away soon.

I am feeling jittery today, but it could be because of the anxiety the loose stool has caused me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »
Hi
Just wondering how you are doing now? I am in my 5th week of taking Zoloft and I wanted to let you know I felt 100 times worse for the first three weeks. It was only the fourth week I started to feel better, I too have a new baby and really struggled to look after him resulting to my husband taking time out from work. My doctor also prescribed me fluanoxol which helped me a great deal as could not cope on just the Zoloft. I wanted to let you know it does get better and I was like you trailing the Internet looking for hope. I am still not 100% but I feel better than I did and am gradually doing more. Please let me know how you get on, would be great to see your outcome.
Bookmark and Share

Online bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »
Hi Luisa! Thank you for your reply.

I am so happy to hear that you are doing better now on your fifth week. It's reassuring to know that your side effects began to diminish after a while. What were your side effects? What dose are you on?

I will keep you updated on my progress. Today has not been a good day, unfortunately. I feel weak, shaky, jittery, anxious, and very tired. I felt great yesterday so this is really sad. :(

I am hoping that, like you, if I stick with it it will get better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
It can be hard when you have a good day followed by a very bad day. But that's been my experience with recovery......a back and forth. One good day out of ten, then one good day in a week, sometimes two. And after awhile they start to coalesce and you feel good for two or even three days in a row. But bad days still come as they do for us all, including those without mental health concerns.

What's important is to not accept a good day passively, but try to build continued positive change in your life from it, a springboard.  And to remind yourself on the bad days that a good yesterday means there can also be a good tomorrow.....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 04:36:11 AM »
Hi

My side effects were awful for the first 3 weeks, I had increased anxiety and could not leave the house, I had the shakes, felt like I would pass out at any moment, felt sick could not eat and a really foggy head. After the 3 weeks I finally managed to get out of bed and do a couple of minor things, then I had a couple of good days followed by bad, I thought great going back to square one! but then the good days out weighed the bad, the only problem now is I have my period (sorry if it is tmi) but this has made my anxiety increase but then it always had. I am hoping that once that finishes I can start back on my road to recovery. I am on 50mg of sertraline and 1mg of fluanoxol. I am due to see my psychiatrist next week to see if I need to increase or stay on the dosage I am. What dosage are you on? and how long have you been taking that dosage for? I hope you start feeling better soon as I can totally relate to how you are feeling at the moment, it is good to speak to people on here as they are the only ones that know what you are going through, no one else seems to understand.
Bookmark and Share

Online bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
Thank you for the words of encouragement, AncientMelody. I am hoping that the good days will begin to outweigh the bad days. I know it is early still, but I am really looking forward to that.

Luisa, sorry that your side effects were so bad. Mine aren't that bad but I have had some increased anxiety, bad insomnia, and total lack of appetite. I've lost over 4 lbs in two weeks. I am so happy to hear that the good days began to outweigh the bad days after  the side effects subsided. I am on 50mg and have been for a week now. The doctor doesn't want to increase me until at least 4 weeks because I may not need an increase if there is a positive change.

I appreciate people sharing their stories with me.

My latest update is that my appetite is still no good. I saw the psychiatrist yesterday and he was slightly concerned with how much weight I have lost in such a short time. He said that if it doesn't improve he will change my medication. I am thinking that the weight loss may also be because of an increase of anxiety over the fear of being on medication. I am afraid of losing my appetite, so I do lose my appetite. It has happened with my anxiety before I started the Sertraline, so I don't know what to make of it.

I am still sticking with it as most of my side effects have gone away. I just want to eat again. My sleep is also slightly improving, which is good.
Bookmark and Share

Online bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
Just an update.

Day 22 of Sertraline, day 12 of 50mg. The insomnia seems to be fading slowly but surely. I am now getting between 5-6 hours of sleep per night as opposed to the 2-4 at the beginning. Last night I may have even gotten 7 hours!

The past few days my anxiety was pretty low and I didn't notice it at all. Today it is much higher, though I attribute it to stress about cleaning the house as my mom is coming to stay with me and hormones as I am due for my period in a few days.

As some of you may know, eating was a major problem.  Thankfully some very helpful words of wisdom from members of the board helped me to realize that I was driving myself crazy with the eating issue. I was worried that my lack of appetite was caused by the Sertraline, but I realize now it was more psychological than anything. Over the past two days eating has become much easier and yesterday evening I was actually so hungry that I asked my husband to go out and buy McDonald's for me. :)

I still wish the anxiety would go away completely, but I know it is early days yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Ilaughatfear

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 07:20:47 PM »
Just read this post. Sorry I'm late to the game. When starting paroxetine (Paxil) I had nighttime panic attacks and overall increased anxiety along with insomnia. The night time panic (usually between 2-4AM) was eased by Xanax and time and resolved within about three weeks. Unfortunately, the insomnia stayed awhile longer. My doc suggested taking my pill in the morning but that didn't help. She then offered another med for sleep but I declined as it felt silly to take another pill on top of the paroxetine and Xanax. It eventually got better but it took about 4-5 months before my sleep became normal. I hope, for you, that the side effects are not long-term. How's it going now?
Bookmark and Share

Online bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Ilaughatfear, thank you for sharing your experiences. My sleep has progressively gotten better over the past few nights. I am now getting between 6-7 hours, which is a huge improvement.

My anxiety, however, has been pretty bad the past couple of days. I am due for my period in the next few days and feel like this may be contributing to the anxiety I am feeling. I almost always experience horrible PMS anxiety.

I am only on my second week of Sertraline at 50mg, so I know it will probably take at least another week to kick in. I just hope it is enough to keep me level and have me feeling back to my old self...which, to be honest, I don't even know what that feels like anymore. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 03:51:47 PM »
It takes 4 to 6 weeks to get used to Zoloft in my experience. I've been on it for 12 years now and it's still working pretty good. It would be better to think about switching, but I want kids, and I can keep taking Zoloft during pregnancy and breast feeding.
For me hormones always affect me a lot, so I skip my periods for 6-8 months. I know not every woman feels comfortable doing so, but for me it works like a charm.
Bookmark and Share

Online bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
Daphne, good luck in trying to have a baby!

Today was my 18th day at 50mg. Honestly, I don't think it's doing anything at all for me. Yet at least. My insomnia returned a few nights ago and I am still having trouble sleeping. I am eating okay though my appetite has not returned yet.

I am REALLY hoping that the Sertraline works for me. Mornings are still so rough getting out of bed. I really don't want to start all over again with another SSRI. :(
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »
I really don't want to start all over again with another SSRI

You won't have to start from the beginning. In most cases SSRIs can be switched overnight usually with only mild side-effects for a few says. The change in chemistry may take a week or two to begin having an effect, however.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »
That is good to know. Should the Sertraline be helping my anxiety by now or am I being impatient? I have felt no improvement at all.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: