Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Morning anxiety-Shakes, restlessness, nausea  (Read 207 times)

Offline ctoney4

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Morning anxiety-Shakes, restlessness, nausea
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been suffering from anxiety for the last 5 months of so. It started off very mildly as I getting only getting heart palps, but after seeing a doctor, I began to get back to normal.

Lately, It's been affecting my appetite(lost 5 lbs), feeling dizzy at times, and is ESPECIALLY WORSE in the mornings. When I wake up, it's feels like flu-like symptoms. I have chills, very restless/achy, and am very nauseous. Some mornings I will even vomit. After a few hours, by 1pm or so, I feel pretty good. Eating is still somewhat of a struggle, but can usually eat an ample amount by dinner time. And by night time, I feel almost 100% good and care free only to go to bed and wake up feeling horrible. I am extremely frustrated.

Does anyone experience this in the mornings? I keep telling myself "its just anxiety and it will pass" but sometimes I wonder how could anxiety possible make me feel this bad? Especially during a very non-stressful time in my life right now(college student on holiday break). My GP has prescribed Celexa 10mg but told me to hold off on taking it until my stomach problems resolved, which is a bit frustrating. I also have Xanax 0.5mg that I take as needed, but usually don' take but 1-2 pills a week.

Any advice or support would be great! Sometimes these mornings just feel crippling!
Bookmark and Share

Offline EdnaLegume

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Morning anxiety-Shakes, restlessness, nausea
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
yep, could have written the same thing. I lost 10 pounds. Only for me, I start getting bad again in the evening around 7pm.  My husband finally convinced me to go to the doctor and she took a look at my list of symptoms and diagnosed me with anxiety.  She did an exam and bloodwork just in case and everything came back fine.

I did start taking Celexa (citalopram) 11 days ago. It's actually made everything MUCH worse, but it's my understanding that it does get worse before it gets better.  I tried xanax a few times with limited success and am now trying klonopin. Mostly looking to just get some sleep.

I'm making progress.  I still feel horrible but it's better than it was after 2 days on the citalopram. I've already had two really good days as well.

I know how you feel, I completely feel for you. You're definitely not alone.  Rumor has it Celexa is a very good AD for depression/anxiety, AFTER you give it sufficient time to work..... like 2-3 months. I figure I've suffered nearly two weeks already, I'm not throwing in the towel yet. I do however keep coming back here for reassurance. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ctoney4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »
Wow, I must say it is quite comforting to meet someone going through the same thing as bad as that sounds. I too had a complete workup from my GP as  I was convinced I was diabetic or there was a thyroid problem. And of course, everything came out normal. I'm glad that you've had a good past 2 days from the Celexa. I'm gonna call my GP back Monday to see if I can get the thumbs up to being taking it. If I can just beat these mornings, I believe I can make it back to my normal self. But I mean some mornings, I feel like I have to carry around a trashcan because the nausea is so intense. It's 4 PM and I feel almost normal compared to 9 AM this morning when I could barely get out bed. This is a vicious cycle but we can do it! Thanks for the reply!
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »
Same thing used to happen to me. I lost 10 pounds. It got better once I started getting my anxiety under control. Hang in there. This is a common thing.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:10:52 PM »
My morning symptoms varied a bit from yours, but yes I've had episodes where the morning anxiety has been the worst anxiety.  This is likely related to the fact that the stress hormone cortisol is at its highest point in early morning hours. So this can trigger/exacerbate the sympathetic nervous system, making your anxiety worse. That said you may want to check with your doctor regarding the nausea to ensure it's only anxiety and not reflux as that can be worse in the AM too. If you can, try drinking a small protein shake, or something like Ensure in the morning to get some nutrients in your system.

In my case, my morning anxiety has a hormonal component....my progesterone was borderline so my family doc started me on progesterone cream. Didn't touch my "baseline" anxiety, but nearly eliminated these morning surges. I was out of the cream for a few days last week and it was bad news! Good luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: